Are roosters appx. 13-14 weeks okay in flavor to eat?

Kakaruk

Songster
Feb 18, 2020
So, I guess I have given my position away: I have some chicks that now have started their real rooster phase - crowing, trying to get on the hens, etc. I am not going to keep them. While I've raised a lot of chickens and slaughtered many meat birds, I have not slaughtered and eaten roos at this age before. Are they too 'gamey' at this age to be delicious in a stew or a gumbo?

I just wanted to see what you all thought, thank you!

The french used red wine and time (all day) on VERY old birds. The original Coq au Vin recipes called for birds far, far, far older than you will ever find in a grocery - literally males who are no longer fulfilling their productive duties. Take that as your guide.

The older the bird, the more (assuming you don't like the game notes, and it seems you don't) the method should involve strong flavors/spices. Gumbos, hearty stews (we aren't talking chicken and yellow rice or chicken noodle soup here - though the carcass is **fantastic** for stock), there are a tremendous number of middle eastern and Ethiopian dishes that will work. The more active the bird's life, the more you want to favor the pressure cooker, the stew pot, a long braise in the crock pot, etc to break down connective tissues. Again, gumbo, stew, doro wat, various curries, etc. Acids will help as well, whether wine, tomato, lemon, etc.

or go completely the opposite route, grind the meat and use it in a stir fry, egg roll, or similar where its been mechanically tenderized first - and end up a dish with an identifiable protein flavor.

In theory, since you don't like the breast, you could pound it flat (1/4-3/8"), tenderize it like a cube steak, pat dry, then flour, egg wash, season, bread, fry, and drench in gravy over mashed potato. Chicken fried chicken.

Last edited:
When I was a kid Mom would fry the gizzards, no pre-boiling. They were pretty stringy but when you are feeding five kids with one bird you use it all and it gets eaten. I use the gizzard in my broth, slow cooked for a long time. When I pick the meat off the carcass to use in tacos, salads, or soup, I reward myself by eating the gizzards and heart. They make a nice snack.

I have found that the feet on my dual purpose birds are MUCH easier to skin than when I did Cornish Cross. I can only assume that a little more age made the skin thicker, thus easier to peel off. I tried to blanche and skin the CX feet and it just didn't go well at all and I ended up scrapping them. I, too, like them in stock.

I agree it is age. Might try blanching them for less time. How do you blanche them? How hot and how long? I bring water to a boil and drop the dual purpose feet in. 15 seconds later I dump them in the sink and cool then down. On older bids I can go 20 seconds but too long and they shred instead of peel. Claws and spurs twist off pretty easily.

My goal is to harvest most heritage Cockerels around 16 weeks. They taste like a real chicken, not the mushy bland store bought stuff.
The Jersey giant take longer to fill out, I usually go about 6 months on those.
Roosters (over a year) have great flavor. I pressure cook those

A guy did a study, link is in my signature.

I've eaten some roosters that were several years old. Flavor was fine, (but old roosters are really tough unless cooked for a LONG time in a pot of water.)

I wouldn't worry at all about the flavor of your cockerels. I notice you're already planning stew and gumbo, which should be good choices for birds the age of yours.

Back
Top Bottom