Are Silkies the Best Way to go?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by morninggloryhatchery, May 19, 2010.

1. morninggloryhatchery

morninggloryhatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    So I've had my layers coop for about a year now and I am looking at starting my own Breeding pen/coop. I was going for Ameraucana then thought of Silkies.
    i have a friend down the road that has Splash, Blue, and Black show quality Silkies and am thinking of buying eggs to hatch from her. Some of her silkies have Lavender
    gene.
    But the real question is, Are Silkies a good way to go for your first breeding pen?

Thanks!

2. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Silkies are a great way to go. Smaller clutches of eggs but they go broody more often.

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!

4. morninggloryhatchery

morninggloryhatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    Thanks! I think I am going to go that way i'll just have to be careful with them during the inter since I am in AK [​IMG].

5. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    YESSSSS! doooo itt!

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I know I'm going to get flogged for this BUT I am just not a silkie person.[​IMG]

I'm going to go with cochins and Orps for broodies.

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:I'm with you-I wouldn't take a free Silkie. Just don't like them.

8. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I have been raising silkie's on and off for last 6 years.I Love them.I have 7 right now( incl.2 teacup size (one reg and one showgirl).They got first free range today the 2 teacup ones with their Giant frizzle broodies of 5 months.I have been very protective of them.They had so much fun just laying in the sun and getting the bug's.Silk's are the best mama's ever and the roo's are alway's tame. Hope my hen's will start laying soon so I can hatch some from my own instead of shipped egg's.Don't know how these small ones will breed cause they so small [​IMG]. But even if they can't We love them anyway and hubby has even started liking the showgirl one and he doesn't like NN"s lol.Hope you get silkie's you will like them.

9. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I have Ameraucanas and Silkies like them both

10. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I know someone that breeds show quality silkies and also other show quality birds and they always use the silkies to hatch their eggs. I have bought seven of them to use on my future hatches and have studied it before I decided to use them as well. I say go with the silkies too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by