Are Silkies the Best Way to go?

morninggloryhatchery

Songster
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Wasilla
So I've had my layers coop for about a year now and I am looking at starting my own Breeding pen/coop. I was going for Ameraucana then thought of Silkies.
i have a friend down the road that has Splash, Blue, and Black show quality Silkies and am thinking of buying eggs to hatch from her. Some of her silkies have Lavender
gene.
But the real question is, Are Silkies a good way to go for your first breeding pen?

Thanks!

Thanks! I think I am going to go that way i'll just have to be careful with them during the inter since I am in AK
hmm.png

I have been raising silkie's on and off for last 6 years.I Love them.I have 7 right now( incl.2 teacup size (one reg and one showgirl).They got first free range today the 2 teacup ones with their Giant frizzle broodies of 5 months.I have been very protective of them.They had so much fun just laying in the sun and getting the bug's.Silk's are the best mama's ever and the roo's are alway's tame. Hope my hen's will start laying soon so I can hatch some from my own instead of shipped egg's.Don't know how these small ones will breed cause they so small
hmm.png
. But even if they can't We love them anyway and hubby has even started liking the showgirl one and he doesn't like NN"s lol.Hope you get silkie's you will like them.

I know someone that breeds show quality silkies and also other show quality birds and they always use the silkies to hatch their eggs. I have bought seven of them to use on my future hatches and have studied it before I decided to use them as well. I say go with the silkies too
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom