Are the eggs still good

mitch1114

Songster
Jul 10, 2018
I just found 11 eggs in a "nest" next to our garage. I have a 22 week old rir that keeps getting out of the yard. She started laying at 18 weeks but then nothing the last couple weeks. Then this afternoon I found 11. Would they still be good? How can you tell? The rir in question is now missing also. She got out again and now I cant find her.

So they would be 4 weeks old at the oldest. I would float test them. If they float, they're pretty old. Those I would boil up and feed back to the chickens. The rest, like those that stand up in the test, I would open into a bowl and give the sniff test before cooking.
Any that sink fully are likely still good.
This also depends on the ambient temperature where you live.

ETA
Make sure the water for the float test is about 20 degrees warmer than the eggs.

Last edited:
I live in Iowa. I think its been in the mid to upper 70s maybe low 80s over the last couple weeks. The eggs were in a dirt nest, next to a concrete wall, covered with 3 foot tall weeds.
I did the float test and they all sank. A couple of them started to tip up but that was it.

The chicken that laid these eggs has disappeared. I searched all over the property for her and couldn't find her. There are no signs that an animal got her, so I am dumbfounded as to where she could be. I'm not sure if she was in the coop last night or not. I'm so sad. She was one of my favorites of the new girls.

She cold have been the rarity that decided to go broody right outta the gate, did she disappear before or after you found the nest and removed the eggs?

if you have a rooster in the flock or a neighbor does and they are fertilized and she wants to brood most likely she moved the nest after it being found and will remain hidden with it until she hatches My RIR did

She cold have been the rarity that decided to go broody right outta the gate, did she disappear before or after you found the nest and removed the eggs?

if you have a rooster in the flock or a neighbor does and they are fertilized and she wants to brood most likely she moved the nest after it being found and will remain hidden with it until she hatches My RIR did

We dont have a rooster. She disappeared before I found the eggs. I found the eggs while I was searching for her.

Back
Top Bottom