Are these birds sick???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ShadyGlade, Feb 8, 2009.

1. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Help. Some of my birds have a light brownish yellow poo that I've never seen before. No feed changes & no signs of illness, but what is this??

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
  3. ShadyGlade

Never would have thought to 'Google' chicken poo . . . but thank you. It looked like one of the cecal pictures & what exactly does that mean?

4. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    A chicken has a storage system for droppings. That is just the term when those glands empty. it's perfectly normal.

You should see the droppings of a broody hen, some of those are huge and very smelly!

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Cecal poo comes from a loop/pouch in the in the intestines. Every so many poops the pouch is emptied. It's likley what you saw. If it's nasty, sticky, and smelly, then that's cecal poo & perfectly normal.

6. ShadyGlade

Thank you for all the help folks:)

I must never have noticed the stuff before because I just had the exterior of the barn built late this fall, and didn't start moving birds in until the holidays. Must not be as noticeable outside & in the straw.

7. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    cecal droppings are done a few times a day..
    but the droppings shouldn't look like that all the time..

not a bad idea to keep a check.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by