Are these blood rings?

Ugh, that does look concerning.

I’m not well versed with blood rings, at all. I googled it, and couldn’t get a clear answer , but did get sucked down the rabbit hole with this article. If I’m reading it right, I *think* it is saying that blood rings occur during the first week of incubation. I could be wrong, it won’t be the first time 🙄

I hope everything works out .

http://en.aviagen.com/assets/Tech_C.../Ross_How_Tos/RossHowto4InfertileEggsEN13.pdf

The chick takes all space, so you cant see anything moving anymore at this stage. It’s just dark and air cell in the last week of incubation (if I remember correctly).

Be patient and good luck. :fl

PS info from a info page on a dutch chickenforum:
“After 18 days the egg is almost completely dark and the air chamber on the blunt side has grown to about ¼ of the egg. Only on the side of the air chamber is some clear mass where you can often see a leg moving when the chick is alive. If you see dark spots, and if the egg is not completely dark, then the chick is almost certainly dead.”

+
The humidity advice on the Dutch forum is 65% from this day till hatch.
“Don’t open the incubator anymore after day 18 until the chicks have hatched (normally day 21, bantams day 20). Leave them inside till all hatch or for 24 hours after the first hatched. On day 21/22 you can take the chicks out and leave the eggs/pipped eggs inside for another day.”

Last edited:
Ugh, that does look concerning.

I’m not well versed with blood rings, at all. I googled it, and couldn’t get a clear answer , but did get sucked down the rabbit hole with this article. If I’m reading it right, I *think* it is saying that blood rings occur during the first week of incubation. I could be wrong, it won’t be the first time 🙄

I hope everything works out .

http://en.aviagen.com/assets/Tech_C.../Ross_How_Tos/RossHowto4InfertileEggsEN13.pdf
I guess I’ll just leave it for now? It still hasn’t moved at all. I can see a lot of the inside of the egg, there’s no veining other than that circle, and the chicks body has been in the same position for 24 hours or more. The other eggs are harder to see through now because the chicks are so big. I’m pretty sure it died, but I’ll leave it just in case.

Thanks for sharing what you found!!

The chick takes all space, so you cant see anything moving anymore at this stage. It’s just dark and air cell in the last week of incubation (if I remember correctly).

Be patient and good luck. :fl

PS info from a info page on a dutch chickenforum:
“After 18 days the egg is almost completely dark and the air chamber on the blunt side has grown to about ¼ of the egg. Only on the side of the air chamber is some clear mass where you can often see a leg moving when the chick is alive. If you see dark spots, and if the egg is not completely dark, then the chick is almost certainly dead.”

+
The humidity advice on the Dutch forum is 65% from this day till hatch.
“Don’t open the incubator anymore after day 18 until the chicks have hatched (normally day 21, bantams day 20). Leave them inside till all hatch or for 24 hours after the first hatched. On day 21/22 you can take the chicks out and leave the eggs/pipped eggs inside for another day.”
The part “if you see dark spots and if the egg is not completely dark” is what makes me think this one has passed. Is it ok to leave it in there if that’s the case?

I can see through a lot of the egg still. No veining, just an obvious chick body that hasn’t moved and isn’t as big as the others, and that dark ring.

Today is either day 19 or day 20. I sort of lost track of time when my kids got sick for a week. 😂 One egg rolled a little at some point, so I’m assuming someone is moving around in there trying to get positioned! These lockdown days are so stinking suspenseful I can’t stop staring at the eggs! Lol

I can’t wait to share pictures and updates on what will likely be an annoying level. Brace yourselves. 🐣❤️🎉

Back
Top Bottom