Are these chicks old enough to tell Gender?

Researching more, looks like the females are darker barred than the males, like barred rocks. Some debate about the white head spot it seems. According to some, like cuckoo marans, all chicks have the white head spots, but the males have larger ones. :)

So... Based on this information, I am voting that all the chicks pictured are pullets.

Well, with barred rocks, they have a white spot on their heads as young chicks, the girls have a 'toupee ' a spot high in the back of their heads, boys have a 'mullet', the spot runs down the back of the head. They might be too old for spot sexing now.

Awesome! Yes here in South Africa it is one of the most well known breeds! 😃😃
Just wish I knew how to sex them!
Well, according to what I could find out the girls are darker barred, which yours seem to be. That combined with relatively small combs, tells me you have girls. But as other posters have noted, you will likely know in another week or two, as single combed breeds will usually start to develop larger, red combs by then in the males.

Well, with barred rocks, they have a white spot on their heads as young chicks, the girls have a 'toupee ' a spot high in the back of their heads, boys have a 'mullet', the spot runs down the back of the head. They might be too old for spot sexing now.
Ok! If it is like that I might be able to tell their gender, as they had these markings a young chicks...
thank you!

Back
Top Bottom