Are these cochins, if so what color?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by reveriereptile, Oct 6, 2008.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I'm pretty sure these are standard sized cochins. I have 4 of them. Two a little darker than the others. They were fuzzy as chicks and have feathers on their legs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a chick picture of them just incase.

[​IMG]

They were also hatched the weekend before Memorial Day.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  2. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Those don't look like cochins to me.

3. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Here's the list of what they could be if they aren't cochins. I ordered the Rarest of The Rare breeds from McMurray Hatchery.
    Sumatras, Dominiques, Golden Laced and Silver Penciled Wyandottes, Silver, Golden, Buff Laced, and White Polish, Golden Campines, Golden Penciled Hamburgs, Silver Penciled Rocks, Partridge, Black, Buff, Blue, & Silver Laced and White Cochins, Araucanas, Dark and Buff Brahmas, Phoenix, Fayoumis, Salmon Faverolles, W. L. Red Cornish, Lakenvelders, Black and White Langshans, Red Caps, Silver Leghorns, Crevecoeurs, Silver Gray Dorkings, Modern BB Red Games, Sultans, Buttercups, & Spanish

4. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Could they be Brahmas?

5. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Looking at feathersite.com, I think they look more like a brahma than a cochin. Either way the color looks partridge to me. I have some cochins and their legs are way more feathered than that, but the comb seems wrong for a brahma. Maybe someone with experience in brahmas will show up.

Those are the only two breeds from that list that could remotely fit.

6. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    They may not look like cochins but there is no partridge brahmas. I believe the first pic is a partridge cochin but they are suppose to be alot fluffier. How old are they?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Sort of look like partridge cochins, but just not very typey cochins. They should have so many feathers on their feet that you can't even see the feet. Also, noy enough "fluffy feathers"....

8. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    They are Partridge Cochins, just hatchery stock. They may get a bit better for the type as they get older.

9. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    there is no partridge brahmas

There is actually. But they are in the UK.

I vote hatchery stock Partridge Cochins.​

10. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I vote hatchery Partridge Cochin as well. (Notice the single comb? Can't be a Brahma!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by