Are these mites?

I bet it is new feather fluff stuff on the ones outside since they are older it only makes sense they are getting new feathers in quicker than the ones inside.

I bet it is new feather fluff stuff on the ones outside since they are older it only makes sense they are getting new feathers in quicker than the ones inside.
Hello, thanks for the input! A few days later, and I’m starting to doubt that it is fluff. It had become thicker in one chick, and as the feathers grow, it is clear to see these clumps are around the base of the feather, and the skin, not part of the actual feather. I took a better picture of the one chick, where it is becoming more thick. Is it possible this is a mild/spore? I’m worried this might affect their health if it is something growing. Even not knowing exactly what it is, is there anything I can try to do to remove it? Or am I just being paranoid and need to leave it alone?
The other chick has more of it too as well.
EEF3CD75-B1A9-4711-A1D1-FDB190F23D35.jpeg
EB09F9FC-703D-467B-BB0D-C40EA4B9EF7E.jpeg

Are you sure it's not lice?

When I zoom in on the picture it's too fuzzy for me to tell what it is, sorry.

Are you sure it's not lice?

When I zoom in on the picture it's too fuzzy for me to tell what it is, sorry.

While I’m not 100% sure, I do not think it is lice/mites, I watched for movement and saw nothing, and have dusted them, mom, and the pen multiple times. I pulled a clump out with a few feathers, and it doesn’t not seem to crumble/fall apart like a mite infestation/nest usually does. It is soft but compact ball of something.
I’m sorry for the fuzzy pictures, it’s the best I could do with a squirmy chick.

While I’m not 100% sure, I do not think it is lice/mites, I watched for movement and saw nothing, and have dusted them, mom, and the pen multiple times. I pulled a clump out with a few feathers, and it doesn’t not seem to crumble/fall apart like a mite infestation/nest usually does. It is soft but compact ball of something.
I’m sorry for the fuzzy pictures, it’s the best I could do with a squirmy chick.
Then it has to be new feather stuff. I don't know what else it could be.

Then it has to be new feather stuff. I don't know what else it could be.

Thank you for your responses, I hope that this is at it is. My apologies for asking so much about this and seeming so paranoid about a simple issue. I haven’t had many moderns Hatch this season, so I really need these two to survive.
Thank you again! :highfive:

Thank you for your responses, I hope that this is at it is. My apologies for asking so much about this and seeming so paranoid about a simple issue. I haven’t had many moderns Hatch this season, so I really need these two to survive.
Thank you again! :highfive:
Are they eating well and acting normal?
If so try not to worry too much.

Are they eating well and acting normal?
If so try not to worry too much.
Update! I also managed to get better pictures.

The two chicks still have it. She has adopted three others, and has a total of 5 chicks, but none of the new ones have the white things. Earlier today I noticed some had a dried crusty something that they had gotten all over their heads when mom sat in poop/egg/mud whatever. I got some warm water and a toothbrush and cleaned their heads, and also gave moms butt a good cleaning. But threats when I noticed in the feathers above her tail bone had A LOT of these clumps, closer to the skin where I couldn’t see them when she was dry. I got some better pictures, and am now positive these two chicks got them when they first hatch, from being wet from the egg and covered by feathers containing these white things.
Mom also has poop issues, and most of her smaller poops get stuck in the feathers right under her vent. I try to clean her to prevent build up, but is there a chance this white stuff is moldy poop that got way up there from when she was broody and pooped in the nest box? Whatever it is, it isn’t affecting the chicks growth, or mom’s new feather growth on her belly. I just want to get rid of it ASAP so these chicks don’t have it when they grow and go to shows, or mom doesn’t have them when she goes to shows later this summer.
Thanks for any ideas/advice!
674E1F7D-6D97-4069-BABE-C00C47D31DFF.jpeg
4E723B63-9A40-43DF-BE93-64C5A3960C73.png
5C30BA89-5CE5-4944-8503-30CCEF0F367E.png

Back
Top Bottom