Are these peck marks?

Hi. Just today I read an article in my local newspaper saying that the first case of Newcastle's has been detected in my town and on a street that's not too far from me. It seems like this week has had an abundance of problems, I just discovered that the RIR from the first picture was eating eggs. Also, I found something that looked like a potential partial lash egg? (or evidence of salpingitis, I'm not sure) on the poop board along with a regular egg. It looked like this:
Salpingitis.jpg

This is not my image because by the time I got out there it was totally covered in ants and I buried it right away (I know I should have taken a picture first). I'm not sure who laid it but I suspect the BO because her egg production has been down and the last egg she laid was weird with blood in it. In fact overall egg production has been down (2 eggs from 7 hens) and the swelling is getting worse on another BO I have. Will take pictures tomorrow.

Hi. Just today I read an article in my local newspaper saying that the first case of Newcastle's has been detected in my town and on a street that's not too far from me. It seems like this week has had an abundance of problems, I just discovered that the RIR from the first picture was eating eggs. Also, I found something that looked like a potential partial lash egg? (or evidence of salpingitis, I'm not sure) on the poop board along with a regular egg. It looked like this:
View attachment 1900070
This is not my image because by the time I got out there it was totally covered in ants and I buried it right away (I know I should have taken a picture first). I'm not sure who laid it but I suspect the BO because her egg production has been down and the last egg she laid was weird with blood in it. In fact overall egg production has been down (2 eggs from 7 hens) and the swelling is getting worse on another BO I have. Will take pictures tomorrow.
Look up the symptoms for Virulent Newcastle Disease if you haven't already. Your bird is sick, bless her heart. I haven't had to deal with VND but I have lost a few from various problems in the past 2 years. Sickness is always hard and in your case, with VND all over the state, you'll want to pace yourself. Here is a short list of the symptoms
Symptoms of virulent Newcastle disease include:
  • Sudden death and increased death loss in flock.
  • Sneezing, gasping for air, nasal discharge, coughing.
  • Greenish, watery diarrhea.
  • Decreased activity, tremors, drooping wings, twisting of head and neck, circling, complete stiffness.
  • Swelling around the eyes and neck.
This doesn't mean she's got it, but her immune system is stressed and she's fighting something. Lash egg means an infection, as do the swollen eyes. Are the black spots diminishing?

Look up the symptoms for Virulent Newcastle Disease if you haven't already. Your bird is sick, bless her heart. I haven't had to deal with VND but I have lost a few from various problems in the past 2 years. Sickness is always hard and in your case, with VND all over the state, you'll want to pace yourself. Here is a short list of the symptoms
Symptoms of virulent Newcastle disease include:
  • Sudden death and increased death loss in flock.
  • Sneezing, gasping for air, nasal discharge, coughing.
  • Greenish, watery diarrhea.
  • Decreased activity, tremors, drooping wings, twisting of head and neck, circling, complete stiffness.
  • Swelling around the eyes and neck.
This doesn't mean she's got it, but her immune system is stressed and she's fighting something. Lash egg means an infection, as do the swollen eyes. Are the black spots diminishing?
Yes they are, as is the swelling. Her activity's increasing also, so I think she's getting better! I'm always monitoring and just went to an information meeting by cdfa at the local library. She's not laying eggs but she just started molting (none of the others are) so it's understandable. Perhaps she was feeling off because of that. Thanks!

How're the girls doing?
Hi! Thanks for checking. One got sick and had a couple big lesions over her eye and on her mouth, she seems to be doing better though. I think that maybe after all the eyelid swelling may have been caused by bug bites (mosquitos? I'm not sure). Otherwise they're doing great! Had some chicks hatch a week ago and they're not sick so hoping that everything will be okay.

Hi! Thanks for checking. One got sick and had a couple big lesions over her eye and on her mouth, she seems to be doing better though. I think that maybe after all the eyelid swelling may have been caused by bug bites (mosquitos? I'm not sure). Otherwise they're doing great! Had some chicks hatch a week ago and they're not sick so hoping that everything will be okay.
Oh good. Thanks for the update.

Back
Top Bottom