Are these runner ducks???

daze333

Songster
11 Years
Dec 26, 2008
Port Angeles, WA
I bought some hatching eggs on Ebay from Andreaseggs. I only got 3 eggs out of 10, but to be fair I did have some humidity problems on that batch. Those 3 all turned out to be drakes. Wonder if the drakes were stronger to make it in low humidity?
roll.png

I have since bought some more eggs from Ebay from another seller and got 4 blue ducks. 2 drakes 2 hens. The blues look very upright and slender to me like a runner is supposed to. Now that I have others to compare to, my first 3 look very fat and less upright. Could this because they are older and maybe fatter or is this a quality thing?

Thanks for your help.

20164_100_4272.jpg

20164_100_4274.jpg

IMO, the ones in the top photo look like hybrids to me, but the one in the bottom photo look like runners. In the top photo, the heads are a different shape than what runners tend to be.

Last edited:
Those Blues you hatched are really nice, beautiful Runners!
smile.png

The first batch look like mutts though. Either they're not pure Runner, or they're really shoddy quality Runners.
hmm.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys! That is what I suspected too. I want to be able to sell good quality birds or eggs. Unfortunately the 3 mutts are the most friendly. They will eat out of our hands etc. I think they really imprinted. The blues I think imprinted to each other in the bator.
hit.gif

I had the same problem, I brought 6 1 day old runner ducks, and 4 turned out to be male and 2 female, but 2 of them are im sure not pure runner,

Runner
61403_duck_and_chick_034.jpg

White runner (the one next to this runner is the runner above, before he got all his colour)
61403_howard_and_gogo.jpg

Runner (had to go as had to many males)
sad.png
sold him to a farm up the road, for hatching chicken eggs
smile.png

61403_sarahs_25th_bday_party_018.jpg

Black and white duck at the front, im sure is not a true runner???????
61403_100_3660.jpg

Black and white again stood up at back, and the lavender coloured duck at the front, also I dont think is a true runner
61403_.jpg

Lavender again bottom left of picture
61403_2h.jpg

Im sure you were as annoyed as me, when you order runners from a runner breeder, thats what you expect, I will not be using her again, sadly I am getting rid of the 2 ducks that are no true runners, and keeping a pure line.

Back
Top Bottom