Are these runner ducks???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by daze333, Sep 17, 2010.

1. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    I bought some hatching eggs on Ebay from Andreaseggs. I only got 3 eggs out of 10, but to be fair I did have some humidity problems on that batch. Those 3 all turned out to be drakes. Wonder if the drakes were stronger to make it in low humidity? [​IMG]

I have since bought some more eggs from Ebay from another seller and got 4 blue ducks. 2 drakes 2 hens. The blues look very upright and slender to me like a runner is supposed to. Now that I have others to compare to, my first 3 look very fat and less upright. Could this because they are older and maybe fatter or is this a quality thing?

Thanks for your help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    IMO, the ones in the top photo look like hybrids to me, but the one in the bottom photo look like runners. In the top photo, the heads are a different shape than what runners tend to be.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  3. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Those Blues you hatched are really nice, beautiful Runners! [​IMG]

The first batch look like mutts though. Either they're not pure Runner, or they're really shoddy quality Runners. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2010
  4. daze333

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Thank you guys! That is what I suspected too. I want to be able to sell good quality birds or eggs. Unfortunately the 3 mutts are the most friendly. They will eat out of our hands etc. I think they really imprinted. The blues I think imprinted to each other in the bator. [​IMG]

5. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    I had the same problem, I brought 6 1 day old runner ducks, and 4 turned out to be male and 2 female, but 2 of them are im sure not pure runner,

Runner
    [​IMG]

White runner (the one next to this runner is the runner above, before he got all his colour)
    [​IMG]

Runner (had to go as had to many males) [​IMG] sold him to a farm up the road, for hatching chicken eggs [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Black and white duck at the front, im sure is not a true runner???????
    [​IMG]

Black and white again stood up at back, and the lavender coloured duck at the front, also I dont think is a true runner
    [​IMG]

Lavender again bottom left of picture
    [​IMG]

Im sure you were as annoyed as me, when you order runners from a runner breeder, thats what you expect, I will not be using her again, sadly I am getting rid of the 2 ducks that are no true runners, and keeping a pure line.

6. daze333

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Yes it is very sad especially when you get attached to them and put so much effort into them! [​IMG]

7. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    Daze - I agree with your suspicions, they look lovely but not runner-shaped.

I got mine from ebay as hatching eggs.

I love the blues - they look like one of mine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by