Are they to hot?

Truck207

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 7, 2010
I got my chicks on Monday and had paper towels down until yesterday. Yesterday I put pine shavings down and ever since then, the chicks seem to either sleep along the edge of the brooder (they seemed to kick the shavings back and lay on the newspapers underneath) or in an area where the light doesn't get to as much. Do you think they are to hot? Also, how should I tell them temperature in the brooder? Do I lay the thermometer down directly under the light or do I hang the thermometer to tell the air temperature? I just don't want them to over heat.

Thanks.

Are they panting? Normally they are hot when they are trying to get away from the light. The thermometer should be down at their level so you know the temp that they are feeling. Mine has a magnet so I stick it to the side of the brooder at their head level.

Thermometer should be at chick-height, but you've already shown yourself to be better than the thermometer -- you noticed the chicks' behaviors. They're telling you they're too hot
smile.png
Raise the lamp a bit, let things cool down, and see if they move around under the light more. Just watch to make sure you don't move it too high and make it too cold -- then they'll cluster together under the light.

Chicks don't read the same books and websites we do -- they may think 95 is perfect, or they may prefer 85. They'll tell you
smile.png

Last edited:
Crowding to one side of the brooder, farthest away from the heat lamp, is a sure sign they are a little too warm. Just raise the lamp up a little or give them more ventilation.
Oops, I'm a slow typist so I didn't see that your question was already answered by Uzuri .

Last edited:
I don't think they are panting. When I lay the thermometer directly under the light (so the light is right on it), I get around 110* and that is with the light hanging about 2 1/2 feet above the brooders floor.

When they are up and active, they will walk under the light and sometimes take a little quick nap under the light. It just seems when they are all sleeping they lay around the edge of the brooder (they kind of create a circle around the outskirts of the light) but they arn't all staying away from each other, they will sleep next to each. I am just trying to make sure it isn't to hot.

Last edited:
Quote:
That temperature was with the thermometer directly under the light, is that the way I should be measuring the temp. or should I hang the thermometer in the brooder at their level, that way it gets the air temp. and not the temp. directly under the light. (hopefully I didn't confuse anyone)

That temperature was with the thermometer directly under the light, is that the way I should be measuring the temp. or should I hang the thermometer in the brooder at their level, that way it gets the air temp. and not the temp. directly under the light. (hopefully I didn't confuse anyone)

i would put the thermometer at the level of the chicks so you are reading the temperature that they are experiencing​

Quote:
i would put the thermometer at the level of the chicks so you are reading the temperature that they are experiencing

I should have explained myself better. When I said I put the thermometer directly under the light, I meant it was laying on the floor of the brooder under the light (this thermometer has the mercury, not digital), is that how I should have it? Sorry for tall these questions, just making sure I am getting it at the right temp.

Yes, place the thermometer directly under the bulb. laying flat on th bedding. It should not be more than 95 to start. If they continue the same behavior you may just have to keep moving thebulb up. They will sleep under the bulb when it is warm like mom. Then reduce heat by 5 degrees each week by raising bulb until the temp is correct.

Good luck and God Bless!

Back
Top Bottom