Are you familiar with this scam?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sunny Side Up, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Recently I posted a message in the Barter section of my local Craigslist offering to paint a mural in exchange for dental work. I'm hoping to find a dentist willing to barter since I have no insurance, money, or credit.

I've never had problems posting on Craigslist before, but yesterday & today I received replies from 2 different email addresses both with the same weird phony message. They ask if I were the lady/dude who sent/showed them a passage in some publication and provide a link to something that looks like a news source. Next they say they almost deleted it/put it in spam but tried it and got approved/qualified. Then they apologize for getting angry at me last Mon/Tues, say they can't believe "it" worked after all, & are going to use "that" to pay some bill. Both close saying "Cheers!"
    ? ? ? [​IMG] ? ? ? What's going on, what are they trying to get me to do? What would have happened if I had clicked on the link they sent?

I sent a report to Craigslist about this, haven't heard back yet. I'm afraid to open any more replies to my inquiry, but am also afraid to miss a legitimate offer from a real dentist. What do you think?

2. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    We've had a scammer from CL contact us too, different msg. We also reported it to CL, still waiting to hear back from them....it's only been about 8 months now. [​IMG]

good luck!

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I get tons asking if I need money. Asking if I need a job, etc. I think a lot of them are those work from home scams.

I just put them in my spam box.

I don't think you'll ever hear anything back from Craigslist. I wrote them 4 months ago and never got a reply.

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    You may have better luck calling and asking dentist offices, or send a letter with pictures of your work...

I had a friend who is a masseuse offer massages to her dentist in exchange for dental care for her family. She just called and asked and the dentist said yes!

5. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:Thats cool when people can barter for things like that. I wonder how many eggs it would take for a dentist visit¿

6. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Quote:Thats cool when people can barter for things like that. I wonder how many eggs it would take for a dentist visit¿

Probably more than I could fit in my car!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by