Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Higley Feed is at Ray and Higley in Gilbert. They are super nice there!!! There is also Cactus Feed at Gilbert and Ray ... but their prices are higher for most things and their customer service is not so great depending on who is working that day. They have one really rude guy working there. Higley Feed has a big fridge with medication for chickens, pigs, horses etc ... I usually get their organic food, but they were out when I went last week. When they don't have it, I just get the Turkey / Game bird starter and give them oyster shell (it's like the Purina Flock Starter for mixed flocks of poultry). It's basically the same but higher protein than the chick starter.

Good info Nurse! Is the turkey / game bird starter non-medicated? And do you mix the oyster in with the feed?

2. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Problem solved!

I cleaned the brooder out today. I was wondering how these chickes were going through 40 oz of water a day! For every drink they take a drop spills out. I kinda knew that before but didn't realize how much was acutaly swirling around the bottom of the tub (under the nice bedding of rice hulls).

No, it wasn't just another excuse to weld something!

(OK maybe it was)

But it does catch all the drops that used to soak the bedding.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of the chickies with the Cornish x in it's favorite position, laying down in front of the feeder!
    Everyone has most of their feathers except the Cornish and the Red Broilers - I've got to get this coop built!!!

[​IMG]

3. pimachickens

pimachickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Tucson
    Quote:Nice pics! They are sure getting big.

Any welders in the the Tucson area? That maybe want to give lessons?

4. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:Higley Feed is at Ray and Higley in Gilbert. They are super nice there!!! There is also Cactus Feed at Gilbert and Ray ... but their prices are higher for most things and their customer service is not so great depending on who is working that day. They have one really rude guy working there. Higley Feed has a big fridge with medication for chickens, pigs, horses etc ... I usually get their organic food, but they were out when I went last week. When they don't have it, I just get the Turkey / Game bird starter and give them oyster shell (it's like the Purina Flock Starter for mixed flocks of poultry). It's basically the same but higher protein than the chick starter.

Good info Nurse! Is the turkey / game bird starter non-medicated? And do you mix the oyster in with the feed?

I just have a hang on feeder in each coop, kind of like a rabbit feeder, and put the oyster shell in there. They REALLY like the natural oyster shell from Higley Feed. They hate the fake oyster shell (I think it's just globs of calcium powder) from Cactus Feeds - it's the Purina brand of oyster shell. Maybe it's just ground up into a powder. The kind from Higley feed, is actually bits of shell.
    The turkey / game bird starter that I get is not medicated.

5. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Just put our 12 eggs into lock down..... Fuzzy butts in a few days, we hope [​IMG]

6. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    Higley Feed is actually on WilliamsField, not Ray.
    Also check out Aden's just down the road. I think they carry organic starter (or they did about a year ago).

Higley Feed
    3091 East Williams Field Road, Gilbert, AZ 0.1 mi W
    (480) 988-2419 ‎ · higleyfeed.com

Aden's Hay Oasis
    18206 East Williams Field Road, Gilbert, AZ 1.7 mi E
    (480) 988-5015 ‎

7. nurseshelly

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:LOL, thanks! I don't know what I was thinking when I was typing where Higley Feed is!

I didn't like Aden's Hay Oasis because the time I went, all of their chicks had severe pasty butt (over an inch of poop on their butts, really obvious) and some were dead, with some decomposed bodies on lower trays that had never been cleaned up. I know it was just one visit at Aden's, but Higley Feed has had clean, healthy chicks every time I've seen them (probably 10 times).

8. nurseshelly

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:Good Luck!!!!

9. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ

Yeah it is a school project type thing so hopefully all 12 will hatch, lost one on day 5 porous egg that was not fertile.... Rest look good so far, but had a temp spike to almost 102 due to cooler failure in incubating room several days back, but pretty sure we caught it early enough.

Thanks for the well wishes....

10. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.

Yeah it is a school project type thing so hopefully all 12 will hatch, lost one on day 5 porous egg that was not fertile.... Rest look good so far, but had a temp spike to almost 102 due to cooler failure in incubating room several days back, but pretty sure we caught it early enough.

Thanks for the well wishes....

Add my well wishes! Looking forward to fuzzy butt pics! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by