Arizona Chickens

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
!!
celebrate.gif

What part of Arizona?

How heavy is your wire? I've had good luck with hog rings, and also J clips.
My aviaries are 16 gauge.

We just got the 1588 a few weeks ago and set eggs for the first time last Wed. I LOVE it!
love.gif

Good luck with yours! And yes, do visit often!! It's a wonderful , friendly, chatty group! Pictures are always welcomed too!
wink.png

I'm in the desert out at Marana but still pretty much on the grid. HOA and all that grief. No roosters allowed
sad.png

I got lucky and one of my co-workers just gave me 60 foot of 10 foot wide metal mobile home awning so it looks like I won't be using chicken wire for the top of the run.

Quote:
Higley feeds has Kruse organic for $25 for a 50 lb bag. I thought it was way less than that - to make matters worse, they're out! They're going to call me back and see if their house brand is unmedicated. The lady said they go back and forth on it.

Where do I get unmedicated chick starter?

Quote:
Ooooo! Oooooo! Pick me! Pick me! I love these questions!

Fist things first!

Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif

Now on to the business at hand...

10' wide is an awlfully long run for unsupported fence / wire. If at all possible, plant a post inbetween the 5' sections & staple away. If you absolutly cannot use a post, the galvanized stitching will work. As an alternative idea, clip off the edge wire so you have jus the prongs stickng out. Then wrap the prongs around the edge wire of the second section. Be sure to fold the remaing prongs over so they don't poke anyone (chicken or human)

I'm still in favor of an additional post. Good luck and please post picts for us!

Mikey

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
!!
celebrate.gif

What part of Arizona?

How heavy is your wire? I've had good luck with hog rings, and also J clips.
My aviaries are 16 gauge.

We just got the 1588 a few weeks ago and set eggs for the first time last Wed. I LOVE it!
love.gif

Good luck with yours! And yes, do visit often!! It's a wonderful , friendly, chatty group! Pictures are always welcomed too!
wink.png

I'm in the desert out at Marana but still pretty much on the grid. HOA and all that grief. No roosters allowed
sad.png

I got lucky and one of my co-workers just gave me 60 foot of 10 foot wide metal mobile home awning so it looks like I won't be using chicken wire for the top of the run.

Cool on the repurposed awning. Carefull around that HOA - two of our members just got de-chickened and partilly de-chickend from those types of folks!

Quote:
Higley feeds has Kruse organic for $25 for a 50 lb bag. I thought it was way less than that - to make matters worse, they're out! They're going to call me back and see if their house brand is unmedicated. The lady said they go back and forth on it.

Where do I get unmedicated chick starter?

AGH
hu.gif
I have no idea where to get anything in your sandburm of the desert ... or your neck of the woods, whichever you prefer
lol.png
I am currently using Kruse for my chickens, but I am waiting for their shipment of organic (hoping to get more egg production).

Ok so we are almost out of this pet club feed, won't buy that again, and someone recently had problems with Mesa feed barn so what else is around here? Ex. Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler etc. Where is Higley feeds? Thanks

Quote:
Higley Feed is at Ray and Higley in Gilbert. They are super nice there!!! There is also Cactus Feed at Gilbert and Ray ... but their prices are higher for most things and their customer service is not so great depending on who is working that day. They have one really rude guy working there. Higley Feed has a big fridge with medication for chickens, pigs, horses etc ... I usually get their organic food, but they were out when I went last week. When they don't have it, I just get the Turkey / Game bird starter and give them oyster shell (it's like the Purina Flock Starter for mixed flocks of poultry). It's basically the same but higher protein than the chick starter.

Back
Top Bottom