1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:LOL, thanks! I don't know what I was thinking when I was typing where Higley Feed is!

I didn't like Aden's Hay Oasis because the time I went, all of their chicks had severe pasty butt (over an inch of poop on their butts, really obvious) and some were dead, with some decomposed bodies on lower trays that had never been cleaned up. I know it was just one visit at Aden's, but Higley Feed has had clean, healthy chicks every time I've seen them (probably 10 times).

I like Higley feed too. Their chicks always look well cared for. I've only been to Aden's once and the chicks looked OK when I was there.
    I was just thinking it could be an alternative until Higley feed gets their organic in.

2. pastrymama

pastrymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    Mama Hen
    I am not sure how it compares to manna pro, but really i feel i am out of choices. the protein content is slightly higher at 17%, it's not organic, i have way too many hens for that. it's 13.99 for 50# and i think he said the scratch is 9.50. so we'll see what happens.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I have moringa seeds! [​IMG] Thanks mclevinson!

I have seeds for constance, TT!, Tball chicky, pimachickens and southerndesert [​IMG] I think those last ones got into the wrong envelope. Contact me to arrange pick up or delivery.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Where is this feed you are speaking of? ... and where can I get it?

Scratch at Costco has gone up to $14.. it used to be $9.

5. tightwad

tightwad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:Where is this feed you are speaking of? ... and where can I get it?

Scratch at Costco has gone up to $14.. it used to be $9.

Which Costco carries scratch?

6. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    YAY! Thank you mclevinson!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now, I just have to convince Gallo to get mine started... [​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I think they all (Costco's) carry it. Find it near the dog food.

they call it wild bird seed but it has BOSS and corn and looks like a lot of the scratch I buy at feed stores.

8. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    TT! :

YAY! Thank you mclevinson!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now, I just have to convince Gallo to get mine started... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. tightwad

tightwad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:Thanks! I'll look at it next time I'm there.

10. azpenguin

azpenguin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Our silkie hen went full-on broody. (I guess "broody silkie" is a redundant phrase.) We slipped a couple of eggs from the bantams that we got from TT! under her. Did it on a lark, so we'll see what happens. The banty roo has been getting jiggy with the hens quite a bit, but he takes his time... you can almost hear the Barry White playing from out of the bantam coop!

Let's see... the seeds from the seed box: So far all I've got going is the Hopi Red watermelon. That plant is growing like gangbusters, so hopefully I'll get some melons before frost hits. I tried the Connecticut Field pumpkin, and the plant grew well for about a month before that hot streak at the end of August did it and the squash plants in. Oh well, try again from seeds in February for some of the plants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by