Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:I hope it works out. I understand being budget conscious. Thanks

2. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:Where is this feed you are speaking of? ... and where can I get it?

Scratch at Costco has gone up to $14.. it used to be $9.

"Mama Hen
    no luck on the manna pro, sorry. i have bit the bullet and decided to just change feed to O H Kruse. there is a place on 19th ave and greenway that will order it in, pawsitive foods, will be here today, and i buy my pine shavings and alfalfa at the tack shop at turf paradise, anything else can be bought at ranchman or petfood depot." from Pastrymama

3. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Is there anyone in Tucson with Silkie hatching eggs for sale, or in Arizona , willing to ship?

I mentioned it in another post, but thought I"d ask again with a post by it's self.

TIA...
    JoJo

4. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Higley feeds has Kruse organic for $25 for a 50 lb bag. I thought it was way less than that - to make matters worse, they're out! They're going to call me back and see if their house brand is unmedicated. The lady said they go back and forth on it.

Where do I get unmedicated chick starter?

Mikey, the Purina Flock Raiser is 20% unmedicated, works well as a starter/ grower for what you need if you cant get the organic.

5. Tracydr

Quote:LOL, thanks! I don't know what I was thinking when I was typing where Higley Feed is!

I didn't like Aden's Hay Oasis because the time I went, all of their chicks had severe pasty butt (over an inch of poop on their butts, really obvious) and some were dead, with some decomposed bodies on lower trays that had never been cleaned up. I know it was just one visit at Aden's, but Higley Feed has had clean, healthy chicks every time I've seen them (probably 10 times).

[​IMG] yucky. I'm glad I didn't ever see that!

6. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Higley feeds has Kruse organic for $25 for a 50 lb bag. I thought it was way less than that - to make matters worse, they're out! They're going to call me back and see if their house brand is unmedicated. The lady said they go back and forth on it.

Where do I get unmedicated chick starter?

Mikey, the Purina Flock Raiser is 20% unmedicated, works well as a starter/ grower for what you need if you cant get the organic.

Thanks Tracy. Tammy was at B&B today and picked up 20# of their house brand. It is not organic but is un-medicated. I do not know the protein content but I didn't want to run our. These chickens are eating like...

...hummingbirds!

7. Tracydr

Yeah, mine really, really increased their intake in the last few days. Exponentially I think. I've been filling a big pan of feed twice daily. I'd say they eat four times what my 20 regular chickens eat, little hogs![​IMG]

8. turkeybreeder

turkeybreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Mesa Arizona
    pet club has great prices and quality feed
    we have used the scratch from pet club
    and also the pet club layer feed and is
    the same as layena, the only difference
    is the brand name here is the link
    for the nearest locations for the
    pet club stores in the valley http://www.thepetclub.net/locations/

9. kevs-chickadees

kevs-chickadees Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Mesa AZ
    Ok so I'm really confused on what feed to get now, to many brands and names for my little brain. I've got a mixture of laying hens, pullets, and little roos, as well as the 3 two week olds. I know to keep the little ones on the chick starter but what do I get for the others? I'd like to keep it to a minimal for mine and the chickens sake. I don't care if it's organic or not, I guess price will help me decide that. Do I get flock raiser and provide the oyster shell? I just don't want to go through another bag of feed where I have to add things to it to get some egg production. Thanks for all the expert advice.

10. tball chicky

tball chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Safford, AZ
    Quote:WooHoo! I'll PM you later today...after I figure out when I'm coming up next (or when my mom is coming down next [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by