Arizona Chickens

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

The end of your story is funny but I hate the feeling when you can't find a chicken, let alone the whole bunch!

Quote:
Not One Dot!
yippiechickie.gif

It is for sure the silly roo.
lau.gif

I've got to post pict of them both together so you's guys can tell me what is what.
idunno.gif

I'm almost thinking One Dot is the same breed as the roo which would make her a Red Broiler as well.
hit.gif

Quote:
All she would have had to do was give me a ring. I think she has my cell number. I could have given you the coop tour in my back yard.

NOW who's the paranoid stooped? Sorry Mikey, would have made a great stop.

I'm the stoop - you're the 'noid.

lau.gif

Quote:
Not One Dot!
yippiechickie.gif

lau.gif

I've got to post pict of them both together so you's guys can tell me what is what.
idunno.gif

I'm almost thinking One Dot is the same breed as the roo which would make her a Red Broiler as well.
hit.gif

Is there anything wrong with keeping a red broiler as a pet? I know it's not a good idea with the Cornish-X.
She may not lay a lot of eggs, but if you really like her...

Quote:
Not One Dot!
yippiechickie.gif

lau.gif

idunno.gif

hit.gif

Is there anything wrong with keeping a red broiler as a pet? I know it's not a good idea with the Cornish-X.
She may not lay a lot of eggs, but if you really like her...

That's what I'm mentally wrestling with right now.

Quote:
Not One Dot!
yippiechickie.gif

lau.gif

idunno.gif

hit.gif

I sure wish I knew what those red broilers were mixed from. They're really kind of pretty. I think the hens will lay brown eggs if you keep One Dot. I seriously doubt that they will have any of the Cornish X problems as far as longevity is concerned, they really don't look like the Cornish X at all. They look like a mixture of some sort of heritage breeds, maybe Rhode Island Reds and true Cornish, along with who knows what, maybe orpingtons? Some have hard feathers like true Cornish or Asils, some are more fluffy. I seem to have three colors in my six broilers. A buff, a black laced with gold and a red. They are all pretty. I've noticed the two black roosters have the strangest flight feathers. Their wings almost look frizzeled. They are sticking out at all kinds of weird angles like they didn't come in right or like somebody tried to pluck them and didn't pull them all the way out. Very strange and bothe of the black/gold roosters have the same weird wings. I've never seen feathers like that.
Anyway, I don't see any reason why you couldn't keep One Dot. I wonder if anybody on the meat forum has tried breeding the Ideal Hatchery Red Broilers into their meat project birds? It would probably be worth asking over there.
Does anybody have Dorkings? I've decided that I'd like to raise Dorkings, preferably red or colored, for my heritage meat bird. Might have to wait until we move, due to space and rooster limitations but I'm trying to learn more about them. I almost think I could get away with it in my backyard but I'd hate to start that sort of project with the chance that I might have to give them up and start over after moving. So, I'll probably just wait and start learning about the breed. Then when we move get some hatching eggs from a breeder and hatch some out right away to get started.
The colored and red ones seem really hard to find.

Last edited:
Rocky has really turned into a beautiful roo. I will say though that his polish grandfather was a White crested Blue, I got him from Sharon at the Feed Barn and he attacked me constantly. The grandmother was a Bearded Buff laced polish and as sweet as pie, and their daughter, Rocky's mom was just rehomed to a retirement farm. I still have Rocky's sister and she's laying me some pretty blue eggs and I'll be selling her as an EE soon.

Love my chickens but I'm really getting impatient waiting for eggs. I've had my girls for 24 weeks so I estimate between 24-26 weeks old(some were very young while others were obviously older). Now I know each hen is different not everyone lays at 20 weeks especially if they mature in winter but while out in the coop today after installing the water heater and cleaning the coop and run one of my EEs was in the nest box proudly singing her egg song for about 15 min. So I got all excited thinking finally. But she comes out of the coop and..........NOTHING! So frustrating
he.gif
barnie.gif

Miki

Edited for spelling

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom