Arizona Chickens

Hidey Hole Chickens.

I have only had one chicken disapear on me, inside the coop... And the only way out was by human hands undoing latches. Interestingly enough my back gate into the neighbors was left open and I had heard voices in their back yard late the night before. Geeez I even called the cops thinking someone might have taken him for his funny barking crow (still an amatueur at 4 months) I looked under, over around, checked for something getting into what a friend calls my chicken fortress. No rooster... Not a peep, not a feather moved cept the rest of the flock, and they weren't telling... When I came home that night around 5p (after a blistering hot day) I went out again to see if I could figure it out. Finally lifted up the temp hen house that has only 4" clearance... and he poked out his head then. I had to finally lift the whole thing up for him to get all the way out! No water, no food on a hot midsummer day in AZ... Maybe thats why he is turning out so aggresive, brain damage???

97522_hiddyhole9-11.jpg

At any rate I have decided to try and keep him even if he has turned agressive. A friend is loaning me her rather large outdoor dog kennel and he can have his 4 standard hens in their with him if he is nice to them, maybe get him a couple more!

Big Roo 'Albion' Welsummer 5 months

97522_bigroo5mnths-2.jpg

Anyone else's hens freak out over the leaf blower or lawn mower? My hens heard the yard man next door and ran to the other side of the yard, squeezed thru the pool fence, and hid under a bush. One was SUPER skittish the rest of the day.
hmm.png

EGG-CITING day today..10 eggs from 10 layers! I am sure I won't see that again for quite a long time! Now if my last 2 dawdlers will start to lay maybe I may get 12 out of 12 one day.

Quote:
No heat lamps here. My chickens didn't get heat lamps when I lived on the WY border. I remember one storm with actual temps of -28 degrees and 50-60mph winds, making the windchills really, really cold, like nearly 100 degrees below zero. I didn't have a heat lamp in the coop but maybe that would have been a good time for it. I didn't have electricity to the coop at the time. They did fine, no frostbite or dead birds. 31 above zero is downright toasty warm.
lau.gif

Looks Great! I'm still leaning towards heat below 40 degrees. I know they could take the cold but I know I'd be cold...
hu.gif

Quote:

Keeping them draft free is a good idea. Make sure they have a nice wind break but good ventilation. I added some tarps to my open chicken coop, although my meat chickens are sleeping on the ground outside in the open so they're not protected at all. They could go in the coop and choose not to.

and half of their butts are bald as well! Gives meaning to freezing your a$$ off!

Back
Top Bottom