Arizona Chickens

3 is enough for you, that is great... Sometimes I wish we only had 3.
th.gif
they poop so much..
gig.gif

What breeds do you have..?

lol yes they do poo a lot!

i have a BR named amy and 2 new additions one is a BR mutt and the other im not sure at all about.

mutts i call them.

Agh, how fun...looking good..
jumpy.gif
I have one stuck in the shell. It pipped fine and started to zip, about 1 1/2" and then couldn't progress. I waited overnight and then decided it had to be stuck because it was strongly peeping and moving, but not making any progress. sure enough, it was "sticky" and couldn't move around to finish the zip. Poor baby :( so I got the tweezers and damp paper towel and started removing the outer shell with the chick peeping and wiggling the whole time. LOL I have it open enough that a wing and foot are out and the head is ready to come out, but I have a feeling there is still too much goop in there behind the chick. I have it back in the incubator warming back up and have upped the humidity some more. None of the other eggs have pipped yet. I will give them a while longer and then I will candle to see if they have internally pipped. This is a bummer, but at least I have 3 live babies so far. Even the two that hatched on their own had some goopy stuff on them, so I have a humidity issue. Hopefully, I have remedied that now. Keeping fingers crossed that more will be able to hatch alive and well. Wish me luck.

UPDATE: Had to open some more of the shell and on the last try, the head popped out, the legs started kicking and the chick shot up out the shell while I was still holding it. YAY Chick is cheeping loudly and flopping all around in the incubator. Lots of goop still on it, but I did get the worst glob off. No blood, yolk sack has absorbed, so it was definitely time to hatch. I'm going to have a nervous breakdown! LOL

Last edited:
Maybe? More the beef but it would depend on how much it all adds up to be and how much freezer space I can make.
There should be plenty to move around so that everyone stays within their budget. Normally you'd prob HAVE to buy a certain amount but with all of this interest we'll more than likely do 2 cows and maybe a second pig. This will make the whole thing cheaper for us as well. I meant to say that I'd put you down for both and then you can buy as much or as little as you want to of both. Someone else will absorb the extra. Including myself probably.

Last edited:

I need a month as well as it's like buying your meat for half a year at 1 time. I need a freezer too. There are some for free in CL sometimes but they're all far away from me, and you have to be FAST.

OK, let's try making a list here and see what route everyone wants to go, once the list has been comprised.

All of our decisions will be made later but I think I can speak for everyone when I say that the meat should be Organic GMO free. Also ideas for where/what (I.e. @a little chiken)we purchase and what it's fed, decided later as well.

Add your name to the list please if you are INTERESTED in splitting any of the following.

K9Dave - Pig, Cow
@moms3cuties- Cow
@a little chiken- Pig, Cow
@Billiam- Cow
@kpgoldstar- Pig, Cow
@City farm-Cow
@kevs-chickadeesPig, Cow

Bump

The way to counter that is to just put some native soil or sand or a swatch of vegetation pulled up in your yard and place it in the brooder when the chicks are a few weeks old. I never did that because I didn't know about it and I raised my girls in the garage but they got lawn time from 2 wks until they went in the coop at 4 months or so. My chickens also walk through my house occasionally when I want them on bug control on the front patio!
Actually I did just that. Put dirt & sand from the yard and they loved that - dirt baths and all.

I need a month as well as it's like buying your meat for half a year at 1 time. I need a freezer too. There are some for free in CL sometimes but they're all far away from me, and you have to be FAST.

OK, let's try making a list here and see what route everyone wants to go, once the list has been comprised.

All of our decisions will be made later but I think I can speak for everyone when I say that the meat should be Organic GMO free. Also ideas for where/what (I.e. @a little chiken)we purchase and what it's fed, decided later as well.

Add your name to the list please if you are INTERESTED in splitting any of the following.

K9Dave - Pig, Cow
@moms3cuties- Cow
@a little chiken- Pig, Cow
@Billiam- Cow
@kpgoldstar- Pig, Cow
@City farm-Cow
@kevs-chickadeesPig, Cow
@BeckyhsinglscCow

Bump

I would be interested in beef but only if it's organic, grass fed.
(I might be OK with finishing on corn if it's organic but I really don't see the point in feeding an animal what it shouldn't eat.  Grass fed beef is delicious.)
We'll make the choice of what we'll buy later. The list is for interested parties and won't commit you to anything. Once we decide what we're getting, those who showed interest will decide what we buy and have a chance to opt out for anyone not wanting too. So glad we have a good amount of people, it will make it more worth while.

Back
Top Bottom