Arizona Chickens

Sometimes a new layer could just lay shell-less, or funny shaped or strange looking eggs at first. Or really tiny eggs. The worst problem is a too large egg, sometimes an egg has 2 yolks and the new layer has trouble laying it. Keep oyster shells out for her, she might eat some.
I have a bowl of oystershell for them... today I missed Daisy's egg, so it was in the coop for most of the day with Elsa hanging out in there, and she didn't break it! I am hopeful that we are out of the egg breaking woods!

At least those were fixable. Be glad that she didn't lay any that look like this one>

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ten-pin-bowling-shaped-egg.1454459/
No bowling pins, thankfully!! The bad eggs looked round, but the shell just instantly crumbled.. like some of the store bought eggs 🙄 makes me mad when that happens!

Her eggs are really cute and surprisingly smaller than the D'uccles.. i wasn't expecting that. But she is still young and growing, only 25 weeks now. She is back to snuggling me and not attacking the D'uccles. So I think she definitely had some puberty mood swings going on!

No bowling pins, thankfully!! The bad eggs looked round, but the shell just instantly crumbled.. like some of the store bought eggs 🙄 makes me mad when that happens!

Her eggs are really cute and surprisingly smaller than the D'uccles.. i wasn't expecting that. But she is still young and growing, only 25 weeks now. She is back to snuggling me and not attacking the D'uccles. So I think she definitely had some puberty mood swings going on!
Here's another crazy egg that's 3 layered>

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/crazy-huge-3-layered-egg.1454714/

Very interesting! I was reading up on chicken anatomy and the egg formation process.. and technically they do have a uterus, which is where it creates the shell, followed by a contraction to rotate it and force it out.. so the soft shells could be either not enough calcium or timing wrong on the contraction.. looks like this one didn't contract before getting another egg to process.

Very interesting! I was reading up on chicken anatomy and the egg formation process.. and technically they do have a uterus, which is where it creates the shell, followed by a contraction to rotate it and force it out.. so the soft shells could be either not enough calcium or timing wrong on the contraction.. looks like this one didn't contract before getting another egg to process.

All I can say is that I'm glad that I never had a hen that layed egg's that looked like neither of those in the 2 link's.

Hey fellow Arazonians,

Does anybody know of a tarp for our “wonderful” weather? I use a tarp on my run to keep the hawks out but I end up replacing it at best every season. It seems to sun-rot/UV rot very quickly — even in winter just slower.

D
There's a place in Phoenix - I haven't been there for years but they used to sell these really amazing tarps in all kinds of sizes. Edges seamed, great quality, have lasted for years! It was this weird "hole in the wall" place off I-17 and sold all sorts of odd and ends - but had this IMMENSE selection of tarps and shade cloths, I mean just aisles of them? It's been about 3 years so maybe call before heading over to see if they're still stocking them.

Place is located right next to Shooter's World, I-17 and Indian School

I wandered in one time when the boyfriend was doing target practice and I got bored. Southwest Sales / Surplus according to Google Maps? Might want to call and see if they still carry tarps / shade cloths? 602 278 6440

Some new Naked Necks joining the flock. The NNs that I already had do not want to give up their spot as the only NNs! The grey bird from @City farm meets the white NN that I have had since she was a chick. Half sisters? The rooster came over to keep the peace by mating the white NN! Jealous hens?
P.S. They are getting along fine!

Attachments

• Half Sisters meet.jpg
    Half Sisters meet.jpg
    661 KB · Views: 4
  • Raptor hen.jpg
    Raptor hen.jpg
    653.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5924.JPG
    IMG_5924.JPG
    849.5 KB · Views: 4

Back