Arizona Chickens

If anything like Polish you might have to give them a haircut on top too to make sure they don't get ice cicles on head in winter. Definitely high maintenance... haircuts and leg fluff cut!
I had 3 Polish hens. You are correct,, I did give them Haircuts. In the winter, as they would drink from water bowl,,,, their hair would act like a mop. I first resorted to rubber bands to make a top ponytail. That did not hold up too long. I just grabbed a pair of scissors,,,, and MAINLINED IT. :gig Problem solved. :thumbsup

I had 3 Polish hens. You are correct,, I did give them Haircuts. In the winter, as they would drink from water bowl,,,, their hair would act like a mop. I first resorted to rubber bands to make a top ponytail. That did not hold up too long. I just grabbed a pair of scissors,,,, and MAINLINED IT. :gig Problem solved. :thumbsup
Did they look like the Beatles after you have them a hair cut?

One of my Polish got the name "Haircut" after I gave her one. My DH just started referring to her like that and there were NO doubts who that was.

Bluebaby is right about Silkies (and I would add Polish) as high maintenance. We had to make a separate run for them.
I've never had any Polish, so I can't say anything about them.

F L I E S !!!

So it's "fly season" where we are. Most have been swarming on our back patio and only some in the chicken run. That's been great so far (for the hens anyway).

BUT... last night I accidentally left their misters on (20 minutes/hour) all night long. This morning the flies are swarming all over the moist ground there!! :barnie

Suggestions?

A moment ago I put a fly trap just outside the run to try to draw them out. I was considering hanging fly paper inside the run but fear they'd try to fly up to it?? I also have a fly spray but am pretty sure that's a big no inside the run.

F L I E S !!!

So it's "fly season" where we are. Most have been swarming on our back patio and only some in the chicken run. That's been great so far (for the hens anyway).

BUT... last night I accidentally left their misters on (20 minutes/hour) all night long. This morning the flies are swarming all over the moist ground there!! :barnie

Suggestions?

A moment ago I put a fly trap just outside the run to try to draw them out. I was considering hanging fly paper inside the run but fear they'd try to fly up to it?? I also have a fly spray but am pretty sure that's a big no inside the run.
I've used the yellow strips that flies stick to successfully in the run. Tip: place them so you won't back into them. No fun getting your hair stuck to them!

I tried an electronic bug zapper. It didn't work because flies are attracted to stinky stuff, not to UV light.

F L I E S !!!

Suggestions?

Just put fly paper up high, my chickens don’t care about it.

F L I E S !!!

Suggestions?

I use the Rescue disposable big bag fly traps that I buy on Amazon, but you might be able to find some locally. It is best not to hang them right inside of your coop or run though, as you want to attract the flies away from that immediate area. This is what they look like:

https://www.amazon.com/RESCUE-Big-Bag-Fly-Trap/dp/B008FO99VE

I use the Rescue disposable big bag fly traps that I buy on Amazon, but you might be able to find some locally. It is best not to hang them right inside of your coop or run though, as you want to attract the flies away from that immediate area. This is what they look like:

https://www.amazon.com/RESCUE-Big-Bag-Fly-Trap/dp/B008FO99VE

I have the jar version of those. I buy the packets in bulk & re-use the plastic jars. I put one about 2 yards outside the run this morning. It is already full of flies! Just put another out.

Just put fly paper up high, my chickens don’t care about it.
Yeah. I may try that too. Not sure how effective they'll be. The flies are crawling all over the wet dirt & staying low. :rant

I have the jar version of those. I buy the packets in bulk & re-use the plastic jars. I put one about 2 yards outside the run this morning. It is already full of flies! Just put another out.

Yeah. I may try that too. Not sure how effective they'll be. The flies are crawling all over the wet dirt & staying low. :rant
There are a few things I would try…the yellow fly paper triangles work great and you can put out some shavings or straw to help dry out the really wet areas. Also, the fly traps that smell horrible that use the baits in water…they reek something fierce in the heat at times but they also work great.

Back
Top Bottom