Arizona Chickens

In amongst another thread this morning, there was a reference to composting with chickens. One link led to another, which led me to this article on The Modern Homestead. It's titled Feed Costs: A Paradigm Shift. It was an excellent article and it is even more valid today than it was in 2008, I'm afraid. I'm rethinking some of my backyard and how I can implement this idea even more than I already do.

one of my favorite chicken related articles! i've read it before and enjoyed reading it again. its an out of the box approach that makes so much sense.

Zimectrin gold- I used it. The girls would not take it on a piece of bread so I dabbed a pea size on my finger and pulled their wattles and in went my finger. I got good at that!!! Only problem was my EE's with no wattles.

They sure do look alike. How old is your gal?
She is going on her second year and lay eggs frequently. Father was silkie and pretty sure mom was a NN/serama. I was hoping that she would be a NN. She tried to sit on eggs for almost two months before she quit. So beware !

Edited to add that this is not the best picture as she was balancing on the edge of a dish while eating.

Last edited:
Unbelievable, one of our "hens" is a roo.. If I did not see him "foxy lady" crow for myself I would of not
known.. He is one from our 1ST hatch.. My dearest friend had wanted to add to her flock.. Then about
a month ago she was thinking she had to many.. I looked at a few from another neighbor that were
absoulutly gorgerous.. So I took her.. Since she,he was the only one by himself & confused as to where
his flock went, cause actually they'll looked the same to him he just did not get where he was.. Her & I
Have a lotof the same looking chickens.. All from the same hatch.. Any way.... He is the most calm loving,
comes up to be held roo.. Just needed to share...

This last weekend, my last hen from the original AZ batch got as old as she could. She was 8 and a half years old. Sweety will be missed.
I do have four pullets that I'm raising but they haven't become as friendly as Sweety was. Hopefully they will in time.

I have a white turkey hen, Wings, that I thought got a bit to warm yesterday even tho she was in shade all day with plenty of water. I found her last night at feeding time breathing hard and you can hear rattling in her throat as she labors to breath. I watered her down and put her feet in water also. No better this morning. I am now afraid she is sick! Never had this before. Anyone know what this is?

Last edited:
I just put an ad up on CraigsList for pure German New Hampshire pullets if anybody is interested. I have too many pullets, don't need to raise them all. Also have Black and Blue Copper Marans pullets for sale. And need to thin out the Orloffs, too.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom