Arizona Chickens

I enjoy reading the thread.  Wish I had chickens, but with this heat, I'm glad I don't.

Anyone getting any rain this evening?  I can see dust coming....

Agh, so happy to hear from you?? So no chicken coop at your new place? How's your family, & are you still practicing?? Your feet will be getting itchy soon when it cools down.. Farm fresh eggs..
You only NEED 4?? Come on you can do it... :lau
We have the BYC seed box from @gallodelcielo till Thursday if you would like it.?
If not now, hoping to do a roasted marshmallow, potluck, chicken/garden talk in October here..

I work near Falcon Field, at a company called Trans-matic. We have a Silver Duckwing Bantom. We currently have 10 Silver Duckwing and 16 Ameraucana eggs in the incubator. We also have 8 Welsh Harlequin duck eggs in a seperate incubator. The chicken eggs are on day 14 and the ducks are on day 5.

Praying that all 3 Ancons & 2 mystery ducks hatch next week.. Will post photos.. Just got our large horse trough & Mrs. America koi today.. Thanks to @Sill for her, she is absoulutly georgous..
Now just need to get some talipa.. Fish fry soon...ya all need to bring side dish's & drinks.. :woot
Wait how long does it take for them to grow??

Hey Arizonians! Our family is moving from Washington state to Glendale! Took our 11 chickens to auction tonight since it's impossible to move them (and I understand they're not allowed in Glendale). :(

Anywho...does anyone know where to buy grass pastured chicken eggs around Glendale/Peoria/North Phoenix? I'm really going to miss my eggs (and birds, but we'll cross that bridge later).

I just pulled along the stem and the seed pods fell off in my hand - if it works to clip the branch go for it.  They are pretty small for one by one!!!

Is this the seeds from the Texas Lilac Vitex? Sorry im not very plant savy.

Again, lost a capon to the heat today. All my hens are good though.
sad.png
Sorry for your loss. Capons tend to have a bit more body fat don't they? That could be the reason he couldn't handle it as well as the hens.

I'm far behind AGAIN and you've probably had several replies and maybe even finished the eggs but if you ever question whether and egg is good or bad there is a simple test you can do. Fill a container that's talker than the egg is long, place the egg in the water if it sinks it's good, if it stands on end it's ok, but should be eaten soon(like within a week), and if it floats it's bad.
Floaters just go to the dogs.
droolin.gif

Thanks for the advice. Good to know info.

I don't see any seed starting a all I see is a cross. Lol

I was out of it after. Y procedure yesterday. The wife says that he did find some problem areas I guess and we have to make an appt to talk it over.

Thanks for all of the well wishes.
Hope you get everything resolved.

I just pulled them off the stem area - after they were dried. I got some from along a roadside high-end gated community area
hide.gif
so now I'm going to get my pot going and plant a few to see if they grow. Tell me if something better is out there!!
Gotta love seed thievery.

One of the most powerful in the world! Instead of tactical gear they wear suits and look just like most elected politicians.
They sure do!
somad.gif

I love this mobile hen house..
OK that is just cute!

Made with a little more air flow - I wonder if they would use it for summer??? You know under the always part of the shade??? I think I'll try a two nest project!

Please post pics of your project. Yes a bit more ventilation and maybe not a metal roof for this heat.
Just wanted to say hello to my fellow AZ BYC members. Just joined a few days ago.
Welcome!

I enjoy reading the thread. Wish I had chickens, but with this heat, I'm glad I don't.

Anyone getting any rain this evening? I can see dust coming....
So far just enough to get the ground damp.

@Mahonri I am at work at the South end of Pinal County, just over the Pima County line. We have already had a pretty good dust storm, and a little lightning. I can smell rain, but haven't got any yet. Presently unloading a couple aircraft engines off a truck, and running around tying everything down that might get blown around.

@wldlfe I raise Black Jersey Giants, Partridge Cochins, and thinking about starting some Black Copper Marans. Presently in the middle of moving further west, the thing slowing me down is building a new chicken run at the new place.
I thought it was Prairie Swan?

Praying that all 3 Ancons & 2 mystery ducks hatch next week.. Will post photos.. Just got our large horse trough & Mrs. America koi today.. Thanks to @Sill for her, she is absoulutly georgous..
Now just need to get some talipa.. Fish fry soon...ya all need to bring side dish's & drinks..
woot.gif

Wait how long does it take for them to grow??
I hope Mrs. America settles in quick. She looked like she fit right into her new home.

Is this the seeds from the Texas Lilac Vitex? Sorry im not very plant savy.
Looks like it. Dried seeds usually fall right off the stem when you rub it between your fingers. Seeds that need more drying time don't come off easily and often don't sprout if they are not ripe enough.

The coturnix quail just turned two weeks old and look how they have grown!

Day 1

Day 14

They hatched at around 10-12 grams and this one is 82 grams already and is about average for this batch.

Well just did a candling of our chicken eggs and had two quitters, all the other eggs are doing fine. Now just got to wait till tuesday for lockdown.

Since so many of us are gardeners as well as keepers of chickens and other fowl I thought you would enjoy a look at some of our beautiful pollinators.

Especially look for the humming bird tumbling after a bee and the bat hovering over a flower with it's baby.

0.jpg

I've never had ducks but if I had to guess, maybe they're getting plenty to eat elsewhere (chickens food, dog food etc) or they're eating when you're not looking. Lol. All of my animals eat less in the summer as well because they're less active.

sometimes I spy on them to see if they eat when im not looking but they don't, im not sure what it is

Back
Top Bottom