Arizona Chickens

We'll be glad to have you when you get here. When is the official move? If you can hold out til our Az summer is over, I would. Lol. The other 8 months are GREAT. I didn't know Glendale doesn't allow chickens?

We've got to get there by the 11th so we can have our kids start school.

Oh boy you would be surprised how well they travel.. Lady Doria left Arizona a few months ago with girls.. Hope she joins in to updates us on her journey.. :weee

You are allowed to have chickens in Glendale.. We have lots of friends that do.. Keep us updated on what you decide to get.. @desertmarcy has beautiful selection.. You will have farm fresh eggs before you know it...

I definitely need to look up the codes again! This gives me so much hope, thanks you guys!

And there just wasn't enough room to bring any chickens; I thought of trying to talk my husband into it, but we're already traveling with five kids with one on the way and a Shetland sheepdog. I'm supposed to be buying a farm to rear all these boys!

Hey Arizonians! Our family is moving from Washington state to Glendale! Took our 11 chickens to auction tonight since it's impossible to move them (and I understand they're not allowed in Glendale). :(

Anywho...does anyone know where to buy grass pastured chicken eggs around Glendale/Peoria/North Phoenix? I'm really going to miss my eggs (and birds, but we'll cross that bridge later).

Oh boy you would be surprised how well they travel.. Lady Doria left Arizona a few months ago with girls.. Hope she joins in to updates us on her journey.. :weee

You are allowed to have chickens in Glendale.. We have lots of friends that do.. Keep us updated on what you decide to get.. @desertmarcy has beautiful selection.. You will have farm fresh eggs before you know it...

Hi! WHO SAID CHICKENS CAN't travel! I'm traveling all over with chickens. I believe Glendale dose alow chickens. No roosters.

I will be moving on in about a week for MN. Plain on the State Fair.

Been fishing, caught a really nice catfish, big enough for 2. A lot of small fish I thru back and this guy!

This is an article I found in the Salem new paper.

I realized about 25 years ago, research is usually founded by corporations with an agenda. Not only is it important to money behind but who, ware and when the study is conducted. What about France? Heigh fatty foods and lots of creamy butter... Then and healthy people. Few study's are conducted there.

Good to hear from ya girl!!

Hope ya all watch "Oiling of America!" :eek:. :barnie. :sick

I definitely need to look up the codes again! This gives me so much hope, thanks you guys!

And there just wasn't enough room to bring any chickens; I thought of trying to talk my husband into it, but we're already traveling with five kids with one on the way and a Shetland sheepdog. I'm supposed to be buying a farm to rear all these boys!

It is way to hot to be traveling with the chickens in ths heat. You did the right thing.. Can't wait o see what you get?

Last edited:
Well we made it back from Tucson seeing Desertmarcy and picking up 2 chicks. We drove through rain and a dust storm like I have never seen before. At one point I was driving 5 mph and could see maybe 10 feet in front of me. A little scary but we made it. The girls were calm and just relaxed in the crates the whole way home. We got a year old Delaware "Muriel" and a 4 1/2 month old Black Copper Maran "Charlie" both girls don't let the name fool ya. They are getting along nicely with Rachel and Monica our other two chicks. While we miss Phoebe it is nice that all the girls are getting along. We do have to keep Charlie separated from the older chicks when we are not out in the back yard since she is smaller but they are beautiful birds. As you can see Muriel is making herself at home in the coop.

Well we made it back from Tucson seeing Desertmarcy and picking up 2 chicks. We drove through rain and a dust storm like I have never seen before. At one point I was driving 5 mph and could see maybe 10 feet in front of me. A little scary but we made it. The girls were calm and just relaxed in the crates the whole way home. We got a year old Delaware "Muriel" and a 4 1/2 month old Black Copper Maran "Charlie" both girls don't let the name fool ya. They are getting along nicely with Rachel and Monica our other two chicks. While we miss Phoebe it is nice that all the girls are getting along. We do have to keep Charlie separated from the older chicks when we are not out in the back yard since she is smaller but they are beautiful birds. As you can see Muriel is making herself at home in the coop.

Glad you made it home safely! Now that you are a Marans owner, you should know the breed is always spelled with an "s" even when singular, named after the town in France, Marans, where the breed was founded
wink.png
The "s" is silent when singular, pronounced Muh-ran

Defenitly will. we are excited here, its going to be a long week waiting for hatch day, lol.
I tried to take pics of the eggs now, but its hard to see them in the pics as the eggs are really dark now. just see the airsack and alittle space at the bottom.

Last edited:
I haven't posted for a while, but still try to keep up with the happenings.

So sorry for the losses due to this heat. I am doing the best I can to keep my 4 pullets from heat stroke. I have a mortar tub wading pool they love to get in, a large plant saucer with a frozen milk jug and water, a mortar tub with damp dust bath dirt. Plus a regular waterer. ( I took out the bucket/nipple waterer after they knocked the stand over twice. LOL)

I also put a portable swamp cooler in the gazebo that at least blows cooler air in one spot for them to stand or lay if they choose. I turn on the swamp cooler when the temperature reaches 95. Right now, at 5:45, it's 101 in the gazebo and 109 outside. I have shade cloth, also. It's just plain hot.

So far, the girls aren't too stressed and seem able to cope by wading or laying in the damp dust bath tub. I also spray down the sand in the afternoons and that seems to help.

They are now 18 weeks and two of them have nice red wattles so eggs shouldn't be too far away. I hope.

CHICKEN MATH!!!!! I couldn't stand it, I am weak, I bought an incubator. I bought 15 fertile eggs from a BYC member. I am 5 days into incubating a variety of pretty blue eggs and dark brown eggs, with a couple lighter brown eggs too. Ameracaunas, Marans, Barnvelder and Blue Lace Red Wyandotte. I am hooked and haven't even hatched a single chick yet.
fl.gif

DH and son have been alerted to the need for a large chicken house/storage shed. (heh heh heh) Gazebo will be a great grow out pen, right?

Since this is my very first time doing this chicken thing, please send me good karma to hatch some delightful chicks in a couple more weeks. Incubator is holding steady on temperature and humidity is between 30 and 40 for now. After much reading (thanks to all who contributed info) I am going with the "dry" method, except when it drops near 25, then I add a bit of water to one of the wells.

Back
Top Bottom