Arizona Chickens

Just listened to the news weather report......don't panic we have a few days of 60 degree weather coming up next weekend along with some rain. Phoenix weather - so how it gets around this area is up to the cloud monsters. I'm just trying my hardest to modify an area for a new coop. My hands and body are not cooperating too very much-- boo.

Again? Did you order it for us? :gig

Any AZ chicken people out there? I am looking for some advice on raising chicks in the desert. I'm in Mesa. Does it get too hot out here? I have four 20 day old chicks, 3 Buff Orps and 1 leghorn. Do we need to do anything special here
Hi I am in Kingman and it gets really hot here too not as hot as you I don't think. Out here is it important to provide shade and lots of fresh water. I also put out a shallow lid for them to stand in to cool their feet. Not so much for chicks as they could drown but I did this for my other chickens

Weirdest thing...
So the chick's are now in their outside coop and with bathing and dusting some baby feathers are molted, I watched as a couple of the chick's picked up each feather and took it to the corner of the coop and left it there

I've never ever seen this with the buffs remember they're only 6 weeks just really weird but cool behaviour maybe next they'll clean their droppings for me too!:gig

Hi I used to have about 40 hens and 8 roos free ranging but had to sell them all when hubby's health got bad. It was too hard for him to take care of them while I was at work. But now that I am retired I want to get going again. I will be trying to find my favorite breeds I had before. Wellsummers, Cochins, Wynadotte, Easter egger I use the nipple watering system and have water for them when they free range. We have 5 fenced in acres. and still have one or two paddocks still ready to go. Put quail in my garden will be getting a few more of those too don't really care on the breed for those. They are just fun to watch hide and pop up LOL.

I like wellsummers for their laying in winter and the Easter eggers will be fun for the grandkids to see. The Cochins and Wynadottes are good at going broody and gentle chickens. We have a dog to watch over them as they free range. My neighbor has two dogs that run around their yard watching over their birds while they free range

Hi I used to have about 40 hens and 8 roos free ranging but had to sell them all when hubby's health got bad. It was too hard for him to take care of them while I was at work. But now that I am retired I want to get going again. I will be trying to find my favorite breeds I had before. Wellsummers, Cochins, Wynadotte, Easter egger I use the nipple watering system and have water for them when they free range. We have 5 fenced in acres. and still have one or two paddocks still ready to go. Put quail in my garden will be getting a few more of those too don't really care on the breed for those. They are just fun to watch hide and pop up LOL.
Congrats on your retirement and welcome to the AZ Thread! You'll be amazed at the info shared here and the resources that they provide.

I hope you accomplish everything you set out to do, and hope your husband is doing better. I retired a year ago and it's been a little awkward for me. Just did a melt-down and had to chill for a while, but finally getting motivated to get busy.

You'll enjoy being here and the folks are most kind and helpful. I sorta feel like they're my chicken guardian angels and have given much advice.

Again, Welcome! --BB

Ty, I am so hoping to find the chickens I am looking for soon. And, have met many great peeps already. Also, ty hubby is doing okay, not great, but okay. I had a meltdown too. Walked off my job and told them where they could put it. Scary really, but things will be good. Glad you are doing better too.

I don't know where you could find your breeds you want up in Kingman, but there's a lot of us in the Phoenix area that may have them. And it may be cheaper than shipping them in. I myself do not yet but eventually will have a breeding stock of something. BTW welcome to BYC. Im sort of new myself.

Back
Top Bottom