Arizona Chickens

Try to get some Sweet PDZ. I know it may not be available everywhere, but places like TSC, should carry it. I use it as base layer in my coop. Then I place hay. PDZ is granular like course sand. It would be easy to sift thru with a kitty scooper.
PDZ neutralizes ammonia.
I just switched over to horse pellets and sprinkle a little PDZ (anyplace that has horse supplies should have it) and DE in it. I really like the pellets- I wet them down in a bin & wait to let them fluff up - then later in the day I scoop and add to the places that need it. If they scratch it out into the grass I don't need to clean it up really - just let the grass grow again and the pellets-turned-sawdust just disappear in new grass

They can climb, not up to your roost, but up the platform. They HATE light.. hopefully theyll be done moving on out within a few weeks. The pain people described after being bit (they clamp down w their pincher, which is horrible in itself, then swing their head up to bite, which is when they inject the venom) sounded just horrible.. in Hawaii, it seemed like everyone who got bit was IN BED!! Like slipping your hand under your pillow, or them getting your foot. I saw them on sidewalks near the beach coming from planters, but thankfully not in my house. (They say not to mention them or they will come to your house!!) But double check your house.. check under beds, closets, along walls. They are horrible creatures!!

I've already found 4 huge ones in the house. Twas not pretty when mom found them

@wolfwalker , I am very sorry to hear about your babies, that is sad, I wonder if you do put the coops up above the ground, if you put aluminum sheeting around the legs and lift the ramp at night, if that would keep them out of your coop? I've heard that it works with these da**ed ground squirrels to keep them out of your fruit trees.

Ok, my hatch has started with 3 chick's out and 15 more to go.
, I thought you had only 3 more to go..lol.. have you added more eggs?

, I thought you had only 3 more to go..lol.. have you added more eggs?

3 more to go on the FNN egg's, but I had also put 6 of the EE girl's egg's in there and 6 of the Blue Double Laced Barnevelder one's in there. Good thing that I did it when I did, because I now have 3 broodies.

3 more to go on the FNN egg's, but I had also put 6 of the EE girl's egg's in there and 6 of the Blue Double Laced Barnevelder one's in there. Good thing that I did it when I did, because I now have 3 broodies.
Are you going to let the girls sit? you can make a safe area for them to go into to keep the others away from the babies till they get big enough to stand a chance, Black Feather and baby are still in the tote, but everyone in Charlies coop are being good, Jill and her baby are out and about, their just checking it out. So cute he's getting little wing feathers, Rose and baby are out and about during the day, she's taking him back in the TSC coop at night to sleep.. only one that looked like they might be a issue was little guy one of my roo's, he promptly got himself sprayed with the hose.. he changed his mind about that. I think he was actually going "ooh, new girl on the block" and thinking he'd get a little before anyone else did. The others are still sitting, I can't wait for the 12th, that will be the end of the broodies for the moment.

Are you going to let the girls sit? you can make a safe area for them to go into to keep the others away from the babies till they get big enough to stand a chance, Black Feather and baby are still in the tote, but everyone in Charlies coop are being good, Jill and her baby are out and about, their just checking it out. So cute he's getting little wing feathers, Rose and baby are out and about during the day, she's taking him back in the TSC coop at night to sleep.. only one that looked like they might be a issue was little guy one of my roo's, he promptly got himself sprayed with the hose.. he changed his mind about that. I think he was actually going "ooh, new girl on the block" and thinking he'd get a little before anyone else did. The others are still sitting, I can't wait for the 12th, that will be the end of the broodies for the moment.

No, I will not let them sit to hatch any. After what I am hatching I'm taking a break from chick's until toward's fall. At least when they are in my brooder I can keep a better eye out for poopy butt's or anything else.

@City farm stopped by here today and got some NN's and the EE girl from me.

Can understand, do have to admit to having a hard time not filling up one of my incubators, but even with the broken eggs I've had, I still have a bunch of chicks due. You need to keep track of your blood lines.. who's gotten who from you. You might end up with some of your blood lines in all the flocks in AZ..rofl.

Here to introduce Terrie the (Turken) & Fawn the Easter egger. Made the trip to pick up some girls & probably 2 cockerels from @BlueBaby, will you send me hatch dates for these girls?. Wanted to keep the 4 chicks together & named the black & white turken Clair. She was quick, photo blurry.
373EF630-C1D6-4929-B0EE-4C42C5404509.jpeg

Attachments

• 0E932F72-013B-440D-A9BD-38B227367A96.jpeg
    0E932F72-013B-440D-A9BD-38B227367A96.jpeg
    443.8 KB · Views: 5
  • A3D05819-51CF-4AF4-AB4B-0722B85070F1.png
    A3D05819-51CF-4AF4-AB4B-0722B85070F1.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 17100A4C-EF07-49C0-971F-9F8A612F2679.png
    17100A4C-EF07-49C0-971F-9F8A612F2679.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
  • A66B3AFB-DD8A-4102-BA17-E13515A62378.png
    A66B3AFB-DD8A-4102-BA17-E13515A62378.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
Here to introduce Terrie the (Turken) & Fawn the Easter egger. Made the trip to pick up some girls & probably 2 cockerels from @BlueBaby, will you send me hatch dates for these girls?. Wanted to keep the 4 chicks together & named the black & white turken Clair. She was quick, photo blurry. View attachment 2179970
Oh i love Fawn!! So pretty!

No, I will not let them sit to hatch any. After what I am hatching I'm taking a break from chick's until toward's fall. At least when they are in my brooder I can keep a better eye out for poopy butt's or anything else.

@City farm stopped by here today and got some NN's and the EE girl from me.
I really love them, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom