Arkansas folks speak up.........

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by wranglerFB, Mar 9, 2008.

1. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Thanks for the good ideas, Chicky. I have had more trouble with pasty butt with my chicks this Spring. I wonder if cooler temps makes it worse? I drip a bit of warm water on the clump of poo to soften it before trying to gently remove it. I'll have to try the toothbrush next time.

Can't believe it's snowing up in North Ark. Just rain here.

2. Ozark Chicken

Ozark Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    OK a little brain fade here. Your post reminded me I had picked up some chick grit at TSC. Run out to the truck in the snow (its getting deeper) and grab the grit. I put some in the brooder. You would have thought I dropped a bag of truffels on a french sidewalk!! They absolutely attacked it. Can they get to much and cause a problem?? It was funny to watch.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:They do tend to do that at first if they've never had grit. My first chicks did NOT seem adversely affected by gobbling it down, but with subsequent groups of chicks I have limited them to a heaping tablespoon at first.
    Also I start them on grit as soon as I get them, I don't wait until I feed treats.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Pasty butt is supposedly caused or made worse by stress, like shipping stress. I'd think temperature swings or anything else that might cause stress could be a factor. I don't know that grit helps it but I think it does. Mine did not have any problem with pasty butt after I started feeding them grit so it will part of the routine for the group in the bator now.

I took some construction sand from a pile I had and put it in a small yogurt cup wired to the side of the brooder. I filled that 6 ounce cup once or twice a day for 28 chicks, but they spilled a lot. Watching them, it seemed like the same chicks just stood there and ate the grit, but none seemed any worse for wear. I think they all got some, just some more than others.

I did not clean every tush that got a little dirty, just the ones where the build-up had started and looked like it might get serious. If the vent was plugged, I was careful to soak so I would not injure the chick when ripping the dried poo off, but if it was just in a small amount of fluff, I sometimes just pulled it off. If the fluff is gone, there is nothing for the poop to stick to. I'm not sure if it starts in the fluff and backs up or it just plugs the vent, whether there is fluff for not. I suspect it could be either.

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] Truffles on a french sidewalk [​IMG]

Yeah, what Tala said. I've only ever had one chick that worried me...it gorged it'self on the sand and almost looked like it had a small ping pong ball on it's neck. I massaged it's crop and everything was fine. Yes, as Tala says, limits are in order. It does help prevent pasty butt though. Julie - I've read too that cold chicks will paste up too. I brood mine in the house or on my enclosed front porch with a 250 watt bulb so I haven't experienced that I don't think..

6. har

har Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Rogers,Ar
    Does anybody have any BLRW eggs they could send me really quick

Thanks
    Scott

7. urban dreamer

urban dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    Yall are getting snow? Really? I was out in flip flops yesterday! LOL, we are supposed to get rain today. Im glad I finished plowing my garden when I did. [​IMG]

8. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    not only is it snowing it looks like a snowstorm here....i have a feeling my birds won't mind me opening the coops a little late this morning. i am drinking coffee and girding up loins for going out in what appears to be a blizzard. how are you other NWA folks looking?

9. urban dreamer

urban dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    Well, I've decided to let Eva go. She has been getting worst and worst everyday. The vet says becuase she has liver disease there is nothing I could do if I wanted to. [​IMG] It seemed like she was alright for a few days but she isn't even eating now. She just lays there with her eyes partial closed. I can't do it. Im thinking about asking my father-in-law to do the deed (away from home). Its just tearing me up to see her like this, I feel she's suffering. Eva was the very first chicken I ever touched. [​IMG] After that I was hooked.

edited for spelling.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    When I opened the pop door this morning, they just kind of looked. None of the normal mad rush to get outside. I have a partially covered run but the snow had blown in. They did eventually go out to get to the water, but I also set up a watering place inside. I took the camera down with me to get a photo, but the batteries were dead. I'm not getting dressed to go back out there for a while, so photos of th erun and chickens will have to wait.

I measured 7" on top of the car and on top of the partially covered run. Since those are non-drifted areas, I figure it is a pretty good indication of how much we got so far. And it is still coming down.

Here is an update of the photo I posted yesterday. This was taken about 9:30 this morning.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by