Arkansas folks speak up.........

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by wranglerFB, Mar 9, 2008.

1. urban dreamer

urban dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    Quote:They are glad they didn't have to, too. Zach said she still had her head tucked under her wing like she did when she was sleeping. Im glad she's not suffering. On a bittersweet note, Zach wanted to know if and when we get another chciken, if he could pick it out. Someone caught the chicken bug and didn't know it. Thanks, for listening to me the last couple of days. Its been a long time since I lost a pet. There are better days to look forward to now.

How are everyone's new babies doing? And the snow?

2. hunt4meat

hunt4meat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    NLR, AR
    Haven't been on here in a while, been kinda P.O.ed since I lost 32 eggs in the bator.

I checked the humidity/temp meter, and temp was dead on, but humidity was off by ALOT (28% was actually 9%). Gots 2 new ones coming in the mail in a couple days, so will try the egg hatching again in a few weeks.

3. coltsdad

coltsdad Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    Ward Arkansas
    Quote:They sell poultry at the Beebe flea market every sat. morning , Robert King has a livestock auction close to Lonoke every 2nd and 4th sat. starting at 11am starts with caged animals then goats and sheep sometimes calves . He is about 10 miles south of Beebe on hwy. 31 , Perry Appling has an auction every third sat. starting at 12pm same order as Kings , Perry has a better selection of poultry usually but prices run a little higher there . He is on hwy 70 towards Hot Springs 5 miles off the freeway (67/167) after you leave Benton .

4. urban dreamer

urban dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    After Eva passed yesterday, Zach asked if we would get another chicken. I said yes, but probally not anytime soon. He then asked if he could pick out the next chicken. Suprised, I told him that if he found a breed he liked we would see. Well, he's already found one and his heart is set on it- a polish (he calls it the "afro chicken"). I was wondering if anyone knew anyone that might have a single polish hen (color dosen't matter), two years or younger that I could buy from them. I know intergrating a single bird is not usually reccomended, but our city limit is four and we have three. I figure mabey at the next meetup, if anyone had one, we could swap there. Thanks!

5. Ozark Chicken

Ozark Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    A few off the wall questions. Anybody have any experience with Capons??? Since I'm gonna have so many roosters I thought hmmm maybe, My wife said she'd be willing to give it a try. May try to find a vet that will teach us the process unless anyone in NW AR is familiar with the procedure. Next, Can you use sawdust for litter in a coop? I have an unlimited supply from a local sawmill. It seems that it might be to fine or cause respiratory problems.

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I use pine pellets, which are really just compressed sawdust. Once it gets wet, it fluffs up and turns back into sawdust. Makes a WONDERFUL dust bath - according to my birds of all ages! I really like it in my coop.

Don't see why you couldn't use straight sawdust, and just not pay for the compressing into pellet shape [​IMG]

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
  8. Ozark Chicken

Ozark Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    Thank you very much!!! I think we are going to try this. Not only would we like them for meat in the freezer but it appears that there might be a market for them also. hmmmm

9. littlepeddler

littlepeddler Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope to see a lot of Arkansas people at the Big Bird Classic show. Be sure and check out the MOAC table for some great raffle items.
    We will be raffling a Brinsea incubator and some hand crafted hen nest and many other items. Can't wait to meet many people from Arkansas.
    GO HOGS!!

10. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm APA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
    Quote:Just a few more days. Had to drive through Pine Bluff three days this week. Thought of the show each time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by