Arkansas folks speak up.........

What does everyone feed their flock? I'm central arkansas and really only see two brand options around here: Purina and Dumor. I was wondering if I'm overlooking others.

What does everyone feed their flock? I'm central arkansas and really only see two brand options around here: Purina and Dumor. I was wondering if I'm overlooking others.

Sounds like you are looking at Tractor Supply. Check around to see if you have a Co-op in your area or check at an Ace Hardware store. Orscheln is also a possibility.

I would also check around for local mom and pop stores. My husband works at a feed mill that sends different types of feed to stores all over MO, AR, TN and KY. If they don't have it at that store, Hirsch could probably get it for them.
Hirsch?

I haven't checked our local Ace, didn't think they would carry it. I have looked at 3 stores but I will check again!

Farmers Co-Op carries Cumberland Mills out of Tennessee.

Hirsch Feed and Farm Supply is the store DH works for. They ship to a lot of different stores all over Arkansas, and if there is a store that carries Hirsch Feed but doesn't have what you are looking for, they may be able to get it shipped in for you. Hirsch bags their own feed.

I have never heard of that brand here in the Central Arkansas area.
The local Ace Hardware (I think it's Ace) in East End carries Prime Quality. Years ago that's all I fed, the local PQ mill went out of business. It made out if state now and hauled in.

There is another in East End that carries Nutrena. My chickens just ate that so-so. A little bigger pellet which they don't care for fat pellets.

I don't feed crumbles to the grown chickens because they waste way too much if that.

I'm currently feeding the Cumberland Mills brand, getting fairly good results from that. I also on Saturdats feed corn chop and sweet feed mix to give them a little something different and change so they don't get too bored with the same ol same o. Also they get all the table scraps I gather up.

Last edited:
Farmers Co-Op carries Cumberland Mills out of Tennessee.
I have never heard of that brand here in the Central Arkansas area.
The local Ace Hardware (I think it's Ace) in East End carries Prime Quality. Years ago that's all I fed, the local PQ mill went out of business. It made out if state now and hauled in.

There is another in East End that carries Nutrena. My chickens just ate that so-so. A little bigger pellet which they don't care for fat pellets.

I don't feed crumbles to the grown chickens because they waste way too much if that.

I'm currently feeding the Cumberland Mills brand, getting fairly good results from that. I also on Saturdats feed corn chop and sweet feed mix to give them a little something different and change so they don't get too bored with the same ol same o. Also they get all the table scraps I gather up.

I get most of my feed from the local Coop but we are very small and they don't have a wide variety. I would like an all flock pellet as nonetoo waste the crumble. My choices are a chick crumble, a flight developer crumble or layer pellets. I am going to AAt woods today to check their selection. They advertised an all flock pellet for$15.99. I pay $20 for my flight developer. I considered feeding them some all stock sweet feed that my llamas get, the chickens love it but I read the ingreedents and it doesn't have the same stuff so I was afraid they wouldn't be getting all the things they needed if I did that.

What store do you purchase from?

I get most of my feed from the local Coop but we are very small and they don't have a wide variety. I would like an all flock pellet as nonetoo waste the crumble. My choices are a chick crumble, a flight developer crumble or layer pellets. I am going to AAt woods today to check their selection. They advertised an all flock pellet for$15.99. I pay $20 for my flight developer. I considered feeding them some all stock sweet feed that my llamas get, the chickens love it but I read the ingreedents and it doesn't have the same stuff so I was afraid they wouldn't be getting all the things they needed if I did that.

What store do you purchase from?

Farmers Co-Opis where I get my feed.

The all stock feed would be okay for once in a while feed. But never would I feed it as an all feed. The layers really need the calcium In the layer feed.

I also use Flight Conditioner for my baby chicks. I really need to get some regular chick starter to mix with it after about three weeks. The higher protein in the Flight Conditioner is great to get them started off on the right foot.

Farmers Co-Opis where I get my feed.

The all stock feed would be okay for once in a while feed. But never would I feed it as an all feed. The layers really need the calcium In the layer feed.

I also use Flight Conditioner for my baby chicks. I really need to get some regular chick starter to mix with it after about three weeks. The higher protein in the Flight Conditioner is great to get them started off on the right foot.

I have free choice oyster shells and I re-feed shells as well. I worry with the layer about having too much calcium for the roos. I have also alternated where I feed a bag of layer then a bag of flight developer and have had good luck with that. That darn flight developer just cost too much, plus it is a crumble which gets wasted. I am looking for an alternative with high protein and that is why I was thinking all flock. It always seems like I have some going through feather growth as well. They don't coordinate their molts with each other.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom