Arkansas folks speak up.........

Man you people need to get REAL!

How can you dare want to sell a started pullet for $15?

I mean all you did was build some pens and coops.
Raise and care for your breeders. Who also ate feed at $13-15 a bag.
Gather, incubate and care for the eggs until they hatch. Using electricity, and an incubator you bought and paid for.
Then you nursed your chicks thru the brooder into a grow out pen where they ate feed for 5months.

I think you should let people come Cherry Pick your best looking pullets for maximum of $5 then give them a free rooster and a weeks worth of feed to get them started.
Don't you know they did have to burn gas to come pick them up.
Come to think of it, you should also deliver them. Of course after you spend half a day sending them pictures of the parent stock and POL pullets.

I agree with Ron. We all want a good deal on chickens. And that fine if you found someone who really needs to rehome some fast but if you really put some time in on quality chickens they are definitely worth more than 2-3 bucks a chicken. I personally would have no problem paying 10-15 bucks per pullets. I guess they are as valuable as they are desirable. Ron has amazing Heritage RIR that easily go for $10 a chick.

I am sure you guys here in Arkansas have some you have worked very hard on too. We should not be surprised or appalled when some is asking 10-20 bucks for laying hens of quality. And if you are selling, don't sell your chickens short. Add it up what you have in batoring bought eggs, feed and electricity for chicks. I am not offended to pay a decent, fair price for a healthy, quality chick. I have batored chicks and honestly I would rather pay a decent price than to go through all of that again.

Seriously though guys. None of us do this for the money or make money at it, but we are not raising and selling feedstore chicks.

Nothing wrong with y'all asking for a decent price for your hard work and quality birds.

I will.

When they give my that 'Wow! That's a lot of money!' crap,
he.gif
I say "Well, I'll tell you what. I'll let you have your pick for free.
droolin.gif
Just one catch. You pay My feed bill."
ya.gif
That usually shuts them up.

Some have said I ask too much for my hatching eggs. At least I sell Orpington hatching eggs. Most do not. Plus ours is of excellent quality!

And when a 4H club leader ask for some eggs, we can afford to give a 4H discount.

We ran some listings for POL pullets. $20 each at 16 weeks old. Some folks called and wanted them now. I explained the listing said we would order the breed/variety they wanted, raise them to 16 weeks and then contact them for pickup. Payment in full at time of ordering. So far everyone wants them NOW, not in 16 weeks.

We have missed folks at the shows this spring, but have stayed home producing eggs. This fall we will come out with displays of our birds. Hoping to win those big "display" awards at the fall shows.

We recently added a new Buff Orpington male that will join our entries at the fall shows. He is a beautiful example of a ...HATCHERY.... produced bird. He has a mate from Ideal Poultry Farms. Will try to post a comparison photo soon of this hatchery Orp and our quality Exhibition Orpingtons.

You get what you pay for! Sell them a $5 laying hen...from Tyson's expired flock! That's all they are worth and that is the only place to get a $5 bird.

Anyone want this guy? He's a bantam Mille Fleur. He was born in the end of November and was supposed to be a hen. ;) Instead he's a crowing all the time male! I don't mind giving him away for free when it's to a chicken-lover. Just come get him please.

We live near Gassville.

Hi all!

I'm new to the chicken owner world as I got my chicks just a month ago. Kept meaning to sign up here and just did the other day. We purchased 8 Speckled Sussex and 2 mixed lot bantams from TSC. They all just moved outside this weekend as it's actually colder in the house than it is out there. (I think my Hubby is a polar bear.) We are in the middle of Little Rock so we can't keep them all, but as we were not acquainted with the magic of chicken math and were purchasing from a chain store...we bought more than we needed so that we'd be sure to have enough if we had any that didn't make it. Thankfully my mother had decided around the same time that she wanted to have some chickens and so the ones we cannot keep will be moving to her house.

The bantams we have no idea on sexing as they both have the tiniest of combs and so they are a wait and see but we've figured out that we got lucky and there's only one for sure roo of the Sussex. There may be another surprise late bloomer in there, but based on the vast difference at the beginning of week 4, we doubt it.

We swung out to the first? Benton chicken swap in the beginning of March but didn't purchase or take anything with us. We just wanted to see what it was like.

Back
Top Bottom