Arthritis

birdgirl408

Songster
8 Years
Dec 23, 2014
One of my girlies was diagnosed by a vet, some time ago now, with arthritis. She, Dusty, is now about 8 yrs old and she doesn't do much. She is happy sitting down, her legs obviously give her pain I think. However, she does have a mooch around sometimes. She eats and drinks ok. I wondered if any of you lovey people would use, or know of a herbal remedy that I could give Dusty to relieve her symptoms? Something that obviously works. To give her an oral remedy, obtainable from the vet is not really an option as it stresses her out so much, despite being good for her. If that is what has to be done, then obviously we will have to go down that road. Thank you in advance for any replies.

A dog medicine, Rimadyl (carprofen) could be useful long term. I know of no herbs that would help arthritis, but the rimadyl could be crushed or ground into food, although it is a chewable tablet. A vet would have to prescribe it. Gabapentin is another drugs vets prescribe for arthritis and pain. Aspirin 1/2 of an 81mg tablet twice a day could be used short term (hidden in some cooked egg) but could cause bleeding if used more than 3 days. Some people use osteochondroitin on dogs, horse, and it probably could be used on chickens. But for the price and the real proven benefit, the rimadyl would be best.

One of my girlies was diagnosed by a vet, some time ago now, with arthritis. She, Dusty, is now about 8 yrs old and she doesn't do much. She is happy sitting down, her legs obviously give her pain I think. However, she does have a mooch around sometimes. She eats and drinks ok. I wondered if any of you lovey people would use, or know of a herbal remedy that I could give Dusty to relieve her symptoms? Something that obviously works. To give her an oral remedy, obtainable from the vet is not really an option as it stresses her out so much, despite being good for her. If that is what has to be done, then obviously we will have to go down that road. Thank you in advance for stock

A dog medicine, Rimadyl (carprofen) could be useful long term. I know of no herbs that would help arthritis, but the rimadyl could be crushed or ground into food, although it is a chewable tablet. A vet would have to prescribe it. Gabapentin is another drugs vets prescribe for arthritis and pain. Aspirin 1/2 of an 81mg tablet twice a day could be used short term (hidden in some cooked egg) but could cause bleeding if used more than 3 days. Some people use osteochondroitin on dogs, horse, and it probably could be used on chickens. But for the price and the real proven benefit, the rimadyl would be best.
Thanks for the info Eggcessive. I somehow think my vet won't stock these, they always seem to have a very limited budget to stock most things. Mainly 'cos they don't stock anything for chooks. I have had a dog antiinflammatory before for my girls. I will give it a go. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom