Artificial Insemination....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Poulets De Cajun, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

If you AI your birds, how long does it take before you start seeing fertile eggs? My white rooster is too fluffy to hit the mark, so I am going to have to AI my hens.

2. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    i have never seen AI for sell for chickens [​IMG]

but i had to post to this because hubby says he wants to AI the goats [​IMG]

wendy

3. Poulets De Cajun

I was taught how to do it at the last show I attended. It looks pretty simple... Rub, Rub, Lift and Squeeze... LOL

4. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:[​IMG] just kidding! [​IMG] kind of funny though [​IMG]

edited to say : we no longer have a rooster, maybe you could sell the "stuff"

wendy

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    If I do it right, I see fertile eggs the next day. I have had poor luck with fertility in my buff birds. Two years ago I had great luck, last year nothing unless I AI'd them. I chalked up the year prior to the hens not being as fluffy. However, I now notice the same rooster is getting his job done, so I am leaning toward him to be a fall breeder, not spring. Weird huh? Maybe I should set some eggs....

6. Poulets De Cajun

I'm going to try and AI this weekend and see what I can get done. This white rooster is gorgeous, but he is a Cozy bird and is quite FLUFFY!

7. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote::| ... [​IMG] Sorry...I'd pay good money to see this!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] We have bronze and white broad breasted turkeys...I was waiting for them to start mating when marlinchaser broke it to me that only AI would work as they are too big to mate....I asked my husband if he would, "assist." And hie reply was, "process, process, process!" LOL!!!!!!!!!!

8. Poulets De Cajun

Its rather easy, and not at all what you would think. I was given a demonstration the other day at the show. You basically rub the Roo down his back briskly a few times, then squeeze near his vent and the baby juice comes out. You take that, rub the hen the same way, squeeze hear her vent and rub or inject the baby juice into the oviduct. Not at ALL what I was expecting!!! And not NEARLY the equipment I had envisioned....

1 person likes this.
  9. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Really??? Not trying to be gross, but I'd love to see video footage of this. That's amazing!

10. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    [email protected]@2four :

Really??? Not trying to be gross, but I'd love to see video footage of this. That's amazing!

i can't help it but this just makes me laugh! [​IMG] [​IMG] sorry ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by