Ascetis fluid

Reds mommy

Chirping
Mar 29, 2016
My hen Sweetie has had swollen belly for a while. I have drained chickens before and the fluid was yellow wheat in color. This time it was dark green.
She seemed a little better and put her back later that night. The next day she was not doing well and brought her inside. She was dripping fluid from where I inserted the 18gauge needle. She past away that day. Why was the fluid dark green and why did the fluid start leaking again? Any help would be appreciated

It is hard to say. Sticking a needle into the abdomen is rather risky, and it is possible that you put it into an organ other than the peritoneal fluid. Most of us here are not vets. She might have had an obstructed bile duct causing the green tint to the fluid--it is just nard to know for sure. Some who have removed fluid in ascites have reported that only small amounts of fluid should be removed at a time. I don't have experience with ascites, but many others here have posted about it. People can perform a cursory necropsy at home to look for abnormal things inside the abdomen, sometimes learning what might have gone wrong. Take pictures to post for help. A state vet or poultry lab can do professional necropsies, that may make things more clear. Sorry for your loss.

It is hard to say. Sticking a needle into the abdomen is rather risky, and it is possible that you put it into an organ other than the peritoneal fluid. Most of us here are not vets. She might have had an obstructed bile duct causing the green tint to the fluid--it is just nard to know for sure. Some who have removed fluid in ascites have reported that only small amounts of fluid should be removed at a time. I don't have experience with ascites, but many others here have posted about it. People can perform a cursory necropsy at home to look for abnormal things inside the abdomen, sometimes learning what might have gone wrong. Take pictures to post for help. A state vet or poultry lab can do professional necropsies, that may make things more clear. Sorry for your loss.

Thank you for your reply. I inserted the 18gauge 3/4" needle about halfway on her right side where I thought were no organs that low on her abdomen. I drained about 2oz of the green fluid. Was that too much? After she died I drained more dark green fluid at multiple spots on the lower right side so I don't think I punctured any organs. Let me add that she NEVER laid any eggs. She was 3-1/2 years old.
Could the dark green fluid mean that it was full of bacteria and bad stuff?
Was her continuing to drain on her own he next day normal? I'm not that comfortable opening her up unless I knew what I was looking for. We are going to bury our Sweetie today I will appreciate any additional replies. Thx

Back
Top Bottom