Ascites- draining issues

jbean0713

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2015
Connecticut
Hello Everyone! I have a hen with Ascites, she has had it for over a year now. Every few months my husband and I are able to drain the new fluid buildup and she is good is good for a while. It came time for us to do our most recent drain and this time the fluid in her belly is much thicker and won't pull out easily. In the past it has been the standard light yellow fluid with a water type consistency. I know the hen is in distress and I want to help her again but I am stuck. The needle I use is already large and it just slowly pulls thick yellow goop, making the process harder and much more time consuming. Does anyone have tips on how to get a thicker fluid out or a way that I could give her an antibiotic to have the fluid breakdown a bit and allow me to pull it out. I appreciate all ideas! Thanks in advance

Try electrolytes. In ascites, bodily fluids tend to react to heat and stress by dehydrating.

However, ascites is a symptom of other more serious breakdown of organs that are in the process of failing. It may be her time as come to an end.

Try electrolytes. In ascites, bodily fluids tend to react to heat and stress by dehydrating.

However, ascites is a symptom of other more serious breakdown of organs that are in the process of failing. It may be her time as come to an end.
Thanks you for getting back to me, I will give that a try and try and pull fluid in a few days again.

Back
Top Bottom