Siyabonga Mama

Chirping
Aug 19, 2018
Kennewick, Eastern Washington
I have a Golden Sex-Link hen, three or four years old, who for the past couple days has looked a bit droopy. She's still eating and she keeps up with the rest of the flock, but she can't jump the low barrier into the compost area where they like to scratch. She's also walking with a bit of a waddle, with her tail hunched downward. She has some bright yellow poop hanging from her ... It doesn't really look like egg, but it's VERY yellow, so maybe? I've not had great success in doctoring my chickens in the past - seems I bring them in and they die on me - so I've opted to wait and see ... but I'm concerned about her. I think she's uncomfortable.

I'm thinking that tomorrow I should bring her in, wash her butt with Dawn and see if there's anything inside her vent, and then dose her with aspirin and some Nutri-Drench both to help with the discomfort and give her a nutrient charge. I'll give her 24 hours of crate rest inside while feeding her extra protein, and see if that helps her.

I should mention that she's also showing signs of leg mites. I had a bad outbreak in late fall/early winter and treated everyone; seemed to get it under control but had to stop treatment because the process was stressing them out badly added to the cold weather, and a couple who seemed otherwise healthy turned up dead. So I'm thinking I'll treat her for mites as well - just a soak in warm water and Dawn while I'm cleaning her poopy area, and then I'll put ointment on her legs. That won't solve the problem, I know - I am committed to all-out war against those dang mites as soon as the weather is reliably warm - I just want to make her more comfortable.

Can anyone offer any words of wisdom? Honestly, I'm so fond of my kippies - and they seem to like me; they always run to say hello and demand treats when they see me! It makes me sick that I seem to be so inept when it comes to providing medical care without killing them!

Last edited:
Have you tried ivermectin pour on for mites? The ointment to the legs can be applied once a week, even though it has been too cold to do baths. Castor oil, coconut oil, petroleum jelly, or mineral oil are good to use. Her overall appearance sounds very much like she is suffering from a reproductive disorder—internal layer, salpingitis, and egg yolk peritonitis are some of those. It can cause the waddling, runny poop that soils the vent, loss of appetite and energy, and not getting around as well. Can hou feel of her lower belly, between her legs, to see if it swollen? Feel of her crop to see if it is normally empty in the morning. Can you post a typical poop picture? Here is some reading about reproductive disorders:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/internal-layer

http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/

Back
Top Bottom