At The End Of My Rope....

If they are free-rangers, you will always have doubtful success in finding all of their clandestine nests. Everyone that responded here has given sound advice. I would keep them up for a week in an enclosed run first, just to see if that does it. If not, then segregate to find out if you have an egg eater. As Minniechickmama said, Calf-manna is a good product that has helped some chook owners restore their egg laying. Egg-eaters cannot be reformed as far as I know. They would be automatic candidates for my freezer as much as I would hate that prospect.

Another nursing chicken keeper huh??? Well I don't know all the details of your chickens surroundings but I noticed you choose 3 of your hens from a breed that is only moderate producers and one from high. I would have done otherwise. I would have wanted one that would go broody, but you don't mention a rooster, so the broody would need eggs from an outside source, so it is possible to make use of it, but you would need help or borrow a roo. I am just talking like this based on why I would have gotten your selection of chickens. All chickens, in my opinion are good. Its just...good for what? That is the question. Provided you have plenty of space and a large variety of food, like free-range, table scraps, and grain, Nothing should stop your eggs from coming in after their temporary egg strikes, provided you knew before hand how many eggs your chickens would lay per year and you calculated how many eggs your family required per year. Chickens are fairly cheap to obtain and keep. Is it possible for you to increase you flock with about 3 leghorns or Rhode Island Reds?
I am editting. Sorry, but how old are these girls?

Last edited:
So I called the feed store to ask about calf manna and they had never heard of giving it to chickens. How often and how much?

Quote:
I would rather raise 15 new Buff Orps to POL than buy any more Leghorns (I have 3 Leghorns currently) I got mine from TSC not knowing what breed they were, they do lay relaibly, but I just don't like them -- and they're so scrawny what am I gonna do with them when they're done laying? I guess we'll have a lot of chicken stock, because they're sure boney.
I'm not the OP, but there are other things to worry about besides just being an "egg laying machine" IMO.

I would kill to be able to get 20% Gamebird Layena.

So would I.
We're switching over to Flock Raiser as soon as this bag of Layena runs out.

I may be way off here but I would like to suggest that the manufactures who formulate the layer feed have done all research to know what diet is needed to produce eggs. If it is eggs that we want then we may want to follow their formula. Maybe your problem could be excessive treats? My children would eat pizza rather than a healthy dinner if I give them the choice... Even though it is not healthy for them or the best possible diet for growth.

Maybe try a strict diet of Layer feed and water and see what happens?

Your opinion is probably not very popular around these parts. (not attacking you, just sayin) Most people around here do believe that free ranging is the way to go for the healthiest birds.
I can tell you, that certainly cuts down on the amount of processed feed that is consumed daily.

I believe that Layena is formulated to produce the most eggs at the lowest cost. It's the bare minimum, or perhaps the "average" that is required to keep up satisfactory egg production.
It's doing great by my birds, but they also free range for most of the day so......​

Quote:
I second!

They will lay when they can, they don't have a choice in the matter. If you want eggs year round by all means do lighting, coop 'em up and cull them after a year. If they are pets at all you are headed for heartbreak, I speak from experience.
sad.png

hinchbug...I have 8 hens, and I just mixed a cup in with a 2 quart scoop. They don't eat that much in a day, but it seemed to be enough to get them going again. Mine also free range.
Good luck.

Quote:
It says, right on the front of the CM bag, it's a supplement for a bunch of species, including poultry. I give 1/3 c. to 5 hens, every 3rd day. I've found mine don't want it every day - and assumed it's because the high level of minerals in CM, like copper. Fine with me. On the in-between days, I offer them a few fish scraps, or other protein treats, like black oil sunflower seeds, or live mealworms, etc. Mine also free-range most days. So I assume they also supplement their protein requirements with insects & insect eggs, for example.

Or, you could mix CM with their regular feed, at the percentages people here on BYC recommend.

Back
Top Bottom