At what age can you tell the difference in sex?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kyle7630, Aug 31, 2008.

1. kyle7630

kyle7630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    How old will the chickens get before you can sex them with accuracy? Is it different with different breeds? What are some things to look for when sexing them?

2. shangri-lafarms

shangri-lafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    It does definately depend on the breed, which breed do you have? Also roosters will have a bigger comb, and will eventually develop saddle feathers, usually not until 10-11 weeks plus depending on the breed.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  3. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I really depends on what breed you have. Some are easier to sex than others. Some pics would help.

4. kyle7630

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    Tried posting pics but had promlems with my d--i--a--l u--p.
    I have a BO that I am sure is a hen. I have a RIR that was supposed to be sexed as a hen but is growing a comb much larger than the others. It's not huge or anything, just bigger than the others by 3 or 4 times. It's tail is kinda shooting up in the air a little.
    I have 2 SLW's. One has started a small comb and the other has not. The one with the small comb's tail points up, whereas the tail on the one with out the comb points down. I have a Polish Black(?) that has the white poof up top. It doesn't look as poofy as it did when it was young. Some black feathers have come in in the front of the poof, and the poof is starting to look more like dread locks. All of them are around 2 months old, +/- a week. Sorry for my mistakes in terminology as I am still learning. TIA for the help.

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    One way to sex your chicks (if they are growing adult feathers) is to look at the tips of the hackle and tail feathers. A cockerel's will be pointy, while a pullet's will be rounded.

I am thinking your theories about the sex of your birds is probably correct. Both Polish males and females get the "top hat" look, so it might be more difficult to go by that. Again, though, the females will have a rounded "pouf" and the males will have more of a "dreadlocks" look. Polish roos have longer wattles visible, unless you have a bearded breed.

6. kyle7630

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    Ok, evidently it's not the dial up keeping me from posting pics. It's my ignorance. A little help please. How do you attach pics to the message. I clicked on the Img and ???

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Kyle, I PMed you. Howdy from a transplanted Tarheel. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by