At what age can you tell the difference in sex?

kyle7630

Songster
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Semora NC
How old will the chickens get before you can sex them with accuracy? Is it different with different breeds? What are some things to look for when sexing them?

It does definately depend on the breed, which breed do you have? Also roosters will have a bigger comb, and will eventually develop saddle feathers, usually not until 10-11 weeks plus depending on the breed.

Last edited:
Tried posting pics but had promlems with my d--i--a--l u--p.
I have a BO that I am sure is a hen. I have a RIR that was supposed to be sexed as a hen but is growing a comb much larger than the others. It's not huge or anything, just bigger than the others by 3 or 4 times. It's tail is kinda shooting up in the air a little.
I have 2 SLW's. One has started a small comb and the other has not. The one with the small comb's tail points up, whereas the tail on the one with out the comb points down. I have a Polish Black(?) that has the white poof up top. It doesn't look as poofy as it did when it was young. Some black feathers have come in in the front of the poof, and the poof is starting to look more like dread locks. All of them are around 2 months old, +/- a week. Sorry for my mistakes in terminology as I am still learning. TIA for the help.

One way to sex your chicks (if they are growing adult feathers) is to look at the tips of the hackle and tail feathers. A cockerel's will be pointy, while a pullet's will be rounded.

I am thinking your theories about the sex of your birds is probably correct. Both Polish males and females get the "top hat" look, so it might be more difficult to go by that. Again, though, the females will have a rounded "pouf" and the males will have more of a "dreadlocks" look. Polish roos have longer wattles visible, unless you have a bearded breed.

Ok, evidently it's not the dial up keeping me from posting pics. It's my ignorance. A little help please. How do you attach pics to the message. I clicked on the Img and ???

Kyle, I PMed you. Howdy from a transplanted Tarheel.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom