Attaching hardware cloth to wood with stapler gun?

I just put 1600 staples in the last few days, over 600 just doing the apron today. I used a harbor freight $28 pneumatic pin nailer, and yes the narrow 1 inch galvanized every 2 in is extremely strong and cheap, almost impossible to pull out, even with a claw hammer. You can't drive 1 inch in b...

@MakoMark could you please tell me which pin nailer at H. Freight you are referring to?

We have their Banks 23g brand pin nailer, bought some years ago, and were impressed enough with the construction of the tool that when we bought a second brad nailer, we bought the Banks 18g for trim to replace our old expensive name brand nailer.

So we're looking for something that will staple welded wire at the bottom of the run boards, to make the 24" apron on the ground around the run -- for predator digging prevention.

I had not thought of using a pneumatic tool for this -- we were thinking to use electrical staples. Then I've seen notes of those popping out?
Seems you had great success with pneumatic which would save a LOT of labor. But I expected you to say you used a stapler not a pin nailer.

I've also seen mention of "POULTRY STAPLES" somewhere on this forum and wonder what in the world they are?

@MakoMark could you please tell me which pin nailer at H. Freight you are referring to?

We have their Banks 23g brand pin nailer, bought some years ago, and were impressed enough with the construction of the tool that when we bought a second brad nailer, we bought the Banks 18g for trim to replace our old expensive name brand nailer.

So we're looking for something that will staple welded wire at the bottom of the run boards, to make the 24" apron on the ground around the run -- for predator digging prevention.

I had not thought of using a pneumatic tool for this -- we were thinking to use electrical staples. Then I've seen notes of those popping out?
Seems you had great success with pneumatic which would save a LOT of labor. But I expected you to say you used a stapler not a pin nailer.

I've also seen mention of "POULTRY STAPLES" somewhere on this forum and wonder what in the world they are?

My timer just rang to go back to work after my lunch, but I'll try to remember to get you the info about the Fence Stapler we used.

You need a compressed air gun for that level of work. Don't be shy. You need a compressor to use it but owning a compressor is one of the secrets to living a better life. Worth the money you shell out for a good one.

Warning. This is a problem that is much like chicken math.

Once you have the compressor and staple gun, you will realize that you can inflate the tires of your vehicles at home. This may result in you fixing your own wheels instead of taking them to a tire shop. Before you know it, you'll have a spray gun or three and a passion for really great paint work on stuff.

All downhill from there with stuff like needle scalers for metal work and a bunch of other stuff that ends with you being like me, having an extra tool shed as my next project.

On the bright side, you will be able to build a plane in your garage when you get bored.

You need a compressed air gun for that level of work. Don't be shy. You need a compressor to use it but owning a compressor is one of the secrets to living a better life. Worth the money you shell out for a good one.

Once you have the compressor and staple gun, you will realize that you can inflate the tires of your vehicles at home. This may result in you fixing your own wheels instead of taking them to a tire shop. Before you know it, you'll have a spray gun or three and a passion for really great paint work on stuff.

All downhill from there with stuff like needle scalers for metal work and a bunch of other stuff that ends with you being like me, having an extra tool shed as my next project.

On the bright side, you will be able to build a plane in your garage when you get bored.
Tyvm, we have just started on chicken math but started down tool math many decades ago... We have a large air compressor and a pancake one, and almost every level of multiple brands of nail guns and a paint sprayer and air gun... We'll add a stapler.

Now you make me remember, at one time we had a roofing stapler, but it might have been a swap / borrow with another tool friend. Hmm. My better half doesn't remember so I might be imagining.

Choice is between a H Freight and a Ryobi One +... we have recently made the changeover to Ryobi and are very pleased with them.

Tyvm, we have just started on chicken math but started down tool math many decades ago... We have a large air compressor and a pancake one, and almost every level of multiple brands of nail guns and a paint sprayer and air gun... We'll add a stapler.

Now you make me remember, at one time we had a roofing stapler, but it might have been a swap / borrow with another tool friend. Hmm. My better half doesn't remember so I might be imagining.

Choice is between a H Freight and a Ryobi One +... we have recently made the changeover to Ryobi and are very pleased with them.
Saw a really sexy lathe the other day while in town. My friend said he would be duty bound to call the cops if I start turning out gun barrels. tools are as addictive as chickens, you just don't have to rescue them from their own actions as much.

My household may resemble this remark. ;)

DH calls me "the Tool Enabler". The lathe and the biscuit joiner are the next items on the list. :D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKC4NMV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I couldn't use it because my hands are too small, but my sister and my son did (DH and BIL were installing the roof that day).

0722211145.jpg
0722211158a.jpg

We also have a narrow crown stapler that I used on the doors because they're too thin to take the big fence staples.

0722211019_HDR.jpg

0722211025_HDR.jpg

(I ended up running another full row of staples, offset by half, to make this attatchment stronger).

And these electric shears for the wire are marvelous:

0722211019.jpg

Be sure to get this kind, even though it's utterly non-ergonomic and clunky: https://www.harborfreight.com/power...hears/35-amp-18-gauge-metal-shears-61737.html

Do not get these https://www.harborfreight.com/power...shears/5-amp-14-gauge-metal-shears-64609.html because they take a kerf and will salt your run with tiny bits of wire that the chickens are likely to eat.

No kerf cutter.png

My household may resemble this remark. ;)

DH calls me "the Tool Enabler". The lathe and the biscuit joiner are the next items on the list. :D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKC4NMV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I couldn't use it because my hands are too small, but my sister and my son did (DH and BIL were installing the roof that day).

View attachment 3497949View attachment 3497951

We also have a narrow crown stapler that I used on the doors because they're too thin to take the big fence staples.

View attachment 3497948

View attachment 3497952

(I ended up running another full row of staples, offset by half, to make this attatchment stronger).

And these electric shears for the wire are marvelous:

View attachment 3497947

Be sure to get this kind, even though it's utterly non-ergonomic and clunky: https://www.harborfreight.com/power...hears/35-amp-18-gauge-metal-shears-61737.html

Do not get these https://www.harborfreight.com/power...shears/5-amp-14-gauge-metal-shears-64609.html because they take a kerf and will salt your run with tiny bits of wire that the chickens are likely to eat.

View attachment 3497957
If I lived in America, I would probably buy a tent and move into a hardware shop.

Aren't poultry stables those bend wire staples 1/2 inch wide, 1/2 to 3/4 inch long and square on top that you pound in with a hammer? Maybe they call them Romes staples now. They're smaller than the fence staples with a curved top.
"Romex" staples? For Romex/indoor electrical wire? That's poultry staples? Thanks.
We're talking to attach welded wire as a predator apron at ground level.
1683635478651.png

( I haven't seen "fence staples yet. Wait. That must be these:
1683635791093.png
There's a barbed version of these, too. )

This is the one we use:
IMG_2890.png

Back
Top Bottom