Attaching hardware cloth to wood with stapler gun?

"Romex" staples? For Romex/indoor electrical wire? That's poultry staples? Thanks.
We're talking to attach welded wire as a predator apron at ground level.
View attachment 3498682

( I haven't seen "fence staples yet. Wait. That must be these: View attachment 3498693 There's a barbed version of these, too. )
I tried these staples. I personally did one section with these and stopped. Took too much time to bang in each staple and half the time they bent. Got to hit them just right to drive it in without bending it. Never again. Air staple gun is the route to go.

( I haven't seen "fence staples yet. Wait. That must be these:
1683635791093.png
There's a barbed version of these, too. )

You probably don't need 1000, but I'm on my way out the door and this is the first link that came up: https://www.amazon.com/Freeman-FS9G...efix=fence+staples+for+st,aps,180&sr=1-1&th=1

I tried these staples. I personally did one section with these and stopped. Took too much time to bang in each staple and half the time they bent. Got to hit them just right to drive it in without bending it. Never again. Air staple gun is the route to go.

Exactly.

DH can drive 2 out of 3 and only drops one out of 10. I can't. Period.

Air tools FTW!

You probably don't need 1000, but I'm on my way out the door and this is the first link that came up: https://www.amazon.com/Freeman-FS9G175-Pneumatic-Corrosion-Resistant/dp/B01BD8GQVE/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2WKAWYN2WCY3Z&keywords=fence+staples+for+staple+gun&qid=1683639373&rnid=2941120011&s=industrial&sprefix=fence+staples+for+st,aps,180&sr=1-1&th=1

Exactly.

DH can drive 2 out of 3 and only drops one out of 10. I can't. Period.

Air tools FTW!
Lol i feel you. Too hard to grab with fingers. And i stopped when i hit my finger nail with the hammer and i got a narly blood blister. Nope i’m good. Air tools are the way to go, easy to use just remember to wear your safety spectacles 🤣

By the time you've paid out for the lastest air driven stapler; fired staples all over the place; puleed out the bent ones; one may as well learn the old school method.
Staples2.png

E322Sframinghammersmoothface22zestwing.jpg

Better still, use a wooden or alluminium batten along the edge and fix it with srews and washers. I've had dogs rip out stapled hardware cloth.

By the time you've paid out for the lastest air driven stapler; fired staples all over the place; puleed out the bent ones; one may as well learn the old school method.
Staples2.png

E322Sframinghammersmoothface22zestwing.jpg

Better still, use a wooden or alluminium batten along the edge and fix it with srews and washers. I've had dogs rip out stapled hardware cloth.
Should not have nails firing all over the place with an air stapler, if you do, you’re using it wrong.

I’ll take a picture later between the difference of using the hammer and staples and using an air stapler.

I'm on my phone so please forgive lack of quotes.

We are experienced at installing Romex type staples and they would be sturdy enough. But if we can speed a job... make it easier...

I looked at H Frt 20 gauge Banks stapler online, reviews are good. But they say it shoots T50 staples which are like a normal staple gun. We have welded wire for the skirt, not hardware cloth.
-- T50 type are not sturdy enough we think for this gauge wire.
-- And they might work their way back out over time, a danger to chickens.
-- An additional consideration is being able to disassemble this coop and run to move.

That last would also apply to a good pro heavier gauge stapler.

I think I'll get a pneumatic stapler anyway, as hand strength lessens as we age and there are times I've had trouble with the staplers.

But we found this screw in wire fastener. Instead of washers and screws... What do you all think of this for this application?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B54D9BKQ/

I'm on my phone so please forgive lack of quotes.

We are experienced at installing Romex type staples and they would be sturdy enough. But if we can speed a job... make it easier...

I looked at H Frt 20 gauge Banks stapler online, reviews are good. But they say it shoots T50 staples which are like a normal staple gun. We have welded wire for the skirt, not hardware cloth.
-- T50 type are not sturdy enough we think for this gauge wire.
-- And they might work their way back out over time, a danger to chickens.
-- An additional consideration is being able to disassemble this coop and run to move.

That last would also apply to a good pro heavier gauge stapler.

I think I'll get a pneumatic stapler anyway, as hand strength lessens as we age and there are times I've had trouble with the staplers.

But we found this screw in wire fastener. Instead of washers and screws... What do you all think of this for this application?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B54D9BKQ/

It's as strong as the screw is. If the screw is in securely then you're good.

One other argument for screws and fender washers over staples (however deployed) is that screws allow for much easier future tinkering and re-use of material.
I sometimes feel a chicken coop is never quite finished and so the ability to do a bit of easy remodeling has some value. Getting those heavy duty staples out of lumber is a lot of work.

I am having difficulties attaching hardware cloth to wood using a standard manual hand stapler gun made by Stanley. Either it jams or the staple won't go all the way in the wood. Would getting an electric stapler gun made by Ryobi Ryobi stapler gun from Home Depot provide better results? Or am I using the stapler gun in an incorrect manner? Am I supposed to lean my weight on the gun as I staple the hardware cloth? Also, the Stanley stapler gun keeps jamming.
We bought a Harbor Freight air staple gun. Its cheap but did an excellent job. Also bought 1" SS staples on line. Raccoons won't get in my aviary

I've been using one this Banks pneumatic staper to attach hardware cloth to my new run, using 3/4 inch staples to attach the HWC to the studs. After it's attached, I stapled over that with lathes that are 2" wide and 3/8" thick using 1.25" staples.

Got the gun and staples at good ol' Harbor Freight. And to make it last as long as possible I always douse the air intake of the gun with 7 or 8 drops of air tool oil.

IMG_0788.JPG
Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 10.18.16 AM.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom