Attacked by a fox but still with us

MykaMom

Songster
Apr 19, 2019
Bishop Hill, Illinois
What else should I be doing? Help for Indie(Near Death Experience) the 2 year old hen

I have NO VET available here, I'm on my own. What else should I be trying?

Friday noon, a fox grabbed one of my hens. It dropped her and ran, but not before ripping out belly feathers. That appears to be the worst of her visible injuries.

I'm assuming it shook her: she acts like she has severe whiplash. At first she was limp and nerveless, clearly in shock.

She's slowly improving: her feet grip my finger, she can move both legs. They're warm, no sign of paralysis. Yet she can't stand without help and can't perch or walk.

She's on broad spectrum antibiotic. 2 more days of steroid, prednisone 2.5mg. Pain meds continuing. I added muscle relaxant.

This afternoon she started moving about the box on her own, using mainly her wings to maneuver from one side to the other. She is eating and drinking well.

Tomorrow, we'll give her a bath and take yet another look at wounds.

I've been thinking about making a sling to get her upright and exercise her legs without putting more strain on her back or neck.

What else should I be doing? My only other option is euthanasia. But as long as she'd fighting, I'll fight for her.

Her legs are stiff but she holds herself at an angle. Makes me think something in her pelvis might be displaced. She leans really hard. And it's why I'm thinking a sling might help her heal.

Great. Trying to convince the local animal hospital to xray a chicken? Sigh.

Attachments

• 20211122_203904.jpg
    20211122_203904.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Have you treated for shock? Even this long after an attack, there can be residual effects from shock. Elevating the glucose levels with sugar and introducing electrolytes can balance her chemistry and might improve her condition some.

It's a good guess the fox shook her and did nerve damage. It may be treatable, so giving a B-complex that includes B-2, B-6 and B-12 can help repair nerve damage. Vitamin E 400iu can also help.

What drug are you using for pain relief?

Have you treated for shock? Even this long after an attack, there can be residual effects from shock. Elevating the glucose levels with sugar and introducing electrolytes can balance her chemistry and might improve her condition some.

It's a good guess the fox shook her and did nerve damage. It may be treatable, so giving a B-complex that includes B-2, B-6 and B-12 can help repair nerve damage. Vitamin E 400iu can also help.

What drug are you using for pain relief?
Initially gave her electrolytes.. I can continue that.

Enteric coated 81mg aspirin for pain.

I have Vitamin E 400iu softgels: best way to administer?

No rooster booster available locally. Closest thing on hand is B12. I can get human grade otc b complex tomorrow.

She's got raisins and a trace of honey in chick starter for feed. Should I give her more honey?

Yes, on the honey. Raising her glucose levels has the potential to do wonders.

The vitamin E capsule can simply be popped into her beak and she will swallow it easily. Give her one a day, along with a B-complex tablet each day. You can safely do that for the next couple of weeks.

It appears you've got this well handled. If this little patient is intending to recover, you certainly are doing all the right things to help her.

Yes, on the honey. Raising her glucose levels has the potential to do wonders.

The vitamin E capsule can simply be popped into her beak and she will swallow it easily. Give her one a day, along with a B-complex tablet each day. You can safely do that for the next couple of weeks.

It appears you've got this well handled. If this little patient is intending to recover, you certainly are doing all the right things to help her.
Thank you! She's objecting, but I started syringing honey water down her crop. There's a 400iu vitamin dissolved in it, about 1/4 cup of water. Tomorrow I'll switch to giving her the gel. And get that B complex!

Back
Top Bottom