attention seeking or sick? please help

eagerly new

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2023
one of my chicks, a 3 day-ish old silver wyandotte, is acting really weird. She seems really sleepy and doesn't seem to like walking all that much, preferring to sit in one spot. She'll get up and eat or drink from what I can see, though, if in small amounts. But when I get worried and pick her up to check on her, put her on my lap, or whatever, she'll kind of perk up and start walking and seeming not very sleepy at all?

1. is she sick or just an attention seeker?
2. Is this normal chick behaviour? The others don't seem to be doing this

I'm really worried.

Sometimes chicks have internal deformities that cause issues and you can’t see them. Only 3 days old? Not likely “sick” with an infection.

When I get chicks, I always give them a tiny drop or two if poultry vitamins (“NutriDrench”- available at TSC is what I use, but a couple of brands sold). I use a toothpick, get a drop, the they will peck at it or I’ll put it alongside their beak. Fresh water next, then another drop of vit, another drink. Chicks can be low on certain bits when hatched, so the liquid vitamins designed for chickens help.

Also, make sure they have fresh, plain water that is cool (not heated by heat lamp) available. If you are providing electrolyte water or ACV water, then also provide fresh plain water at same time.

Back
Top Bottom