Auburn Javas? Genetics gurus, what say you?

ChooksChick

BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist
15 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Larry, KS
My Coop
My Coop
Still not spangled. You can get the same effect on birds that are not homozygous for the genes that express single lacing. To get spangling the birds must carry a gene called dark brown, They can breed all they want but without the correct genes they will never produce spangled birds. They can produce false spangling.

Tim

The birds look like they are poor golden spangled birds. They are a breeding project that is not finished. I am working on red (golden) and buff spangled birds also. The birds should look like golden spangled hamburgs. They are far from what they should be.

Just another person trying to cash in on something they think is new-but is not. I need to get my boots on in case I step into something disagreeable.

Tim

Last edited:
It's a common thing lately, kind of like the Sussex and Silkie crazes. Make some weird color, often not even true-breeding, and ooh look! Someone is bound to pay money for it, especially if it has some fancy made up name slapped on it.

Sorry.
hmm.png

I've heard of Auburns, but far as I remember, they were just Buff Columbians or Reds or something? Perhaps I'm getting Auburn confused with that new Columbian Sussex color.

I have young auburns that came out of my black javas and another breeders hens that i bought. The roo looks about right but the hen has a lot of color.The auburn hen looks close to that but not that much color, i don't think. Also these birds are short backed, javas have flat longer backs.

Quote:
Pics would be great. How is the auburn different than a spangled bird?

Looks like somebody payed good money (97) for some hybrids-that is 6 eggs and they may not hatch. That was easy money.

I read the information below the pictures. The farm has a total of two hens and two roos.

Spangling is not a recessive trait- it is a polygenetic trait.

The breeder should have a small flock of the birds and they should all have the same phenotype. I still need to have my boots on.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom