August 2016 Hatch-A-Long

So
Thank you for your help!  On getting my small brooder box ready, I have a puppy heater in the box that stays 101, with the option for them to get off of it if needed; will that work ok?  Last question, would I keep the box shut (it has open handles on sides for air) or just cover the heated portion with a towel, and leave the unheated portion open so they don't get too warm?

Good luck on your guineas!!  That is so exciting that you have 2 pips already :)
exciting. Make sure there's plenty of ventilation. Mine aren't due to hatch until tomorrow, but woke up this morning to four little marans. :)

We've been having early birds all summer. Anyone else had eager babies??
Were due on the 13th.
I'm locking down 2 days early this batch.

My incubator babies tend to be early, but I mainly have hatched Bantams and guineas. I have cream legbars and Marans hatching later this month and am not sure what to expect! I've even calibrated my incubator thermal sensor.

3 keets out so far
1f603.png

2 pearl and one that looks like lavender but shouldn't be based on the breeder's color list.

The last 3 eggs have been moved to the hatcher. It's a bit crowded!

ETA: As of 8am EST, I have six more external pips. This is like Christmas because of the colors! I am only planning to keep 6 out of the 26 but we'll see lol. I'd like two of each color (white, buff, slate, buff dundotte, chocolate, blue and brown) but I don't have the room right now. I may not even get all the colors, hence the anticipation
1f604.png

Last edited:
Three more are out, eight currently externally pipped. I candled the remaining nine and eight have movement and internal pips and one might be DIS. That is amazing! I felt overwhelmed receiving 28 eggs but expected maybe a 60% hatch rate. I paid $26.50 including shipping for the eggs so that will be a decent profit.

One of the just hatch seems to have dislocated it's eyeball during hatch! Research time to see if i can help the poor thing. It must have just happened because it's bleeding.

Last edited:
Super cute chicks everyone!! It makes me so envious. I hope my hatch goes well, I'm already seeing some issues, but I'm also seeing signs of life!

My eggs got beat up during shipping and most of them have disrupted air cells. I also saw signs that 3 might be totally scrambled, but put them in anyway just to be on the safe side.
We are about 72 hours in. This afternoon when I opened the incubator to turn I caught a faint whiff of smell. I had an egg explode on me once during hatch out, I don't want a repeat so I candled way earlier than I usually do. I'm seeing veining on 13 of the eggs so that has me exited! However on 2 of the expected scrambles I'm seeing multiple bubbles in the eggs. They start at the bottom and move up, then hang up near the air cell, but don't combine. I'm thinking they are starting to go rotten and off gassing. I've never tossed eggs this early, but the smell has me concerned. I don't see bacteria rings. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Back
Top Bottom