August 2016 Hatch-A-Long

I have never done a broody hatch before. I think the anxiety is worse because you have no clue what is going on. But she seems to. At day 10, she kicked 2 eggs out. One was clear and the other had a blood ring. I didn't know they could tell.
Wow! Nature is amazing. Mama must be feeling something - temperature difference, lack of heartbeat ?? Broody hen is smart!

That's exciting, Marlene!  I also started with 6 and am down to 5.  Did the hen eject the non-developed egg, or did you remove it?

Wishing you good luck with your hatch. :)

I candled them on day 14 and could see there was no development, so I disposed of it. I am happy with 5 out of 6 as they were shipped eggs.

I was so anxious (off work today), I had to go take a walk after that cheeping I heard and still no action. I came back and just found the first pip!
big_smile.png
Meg, my Red Star crossbreed who is always in my business, just had to come to the door to find out what's going on. She knows something's up.

Day 21 the big day! My egg hasn't moved in 2 days I got worried something was wrong,took it out and candeled it. The air sac is bigger and the chick is still moving, but No internal pips :( I feel like I'm going crazy waiting, it is worse than watching for water to boil lol but atleast the chicks are all ok, i guess I'll have to learn to be more patient and stop looking in the incubator every 10 mins!
1f440.png
1f440.png
1f440.png

Day 21 the big day! My egg hasn't moved in 2 days I got worried something was wrong,took it out and candeled it. The air sac is bigger and the chick is still moving, but No internal pips
sad.png
I feel like I'm going crazy waiting, it is worse than watching for water to boil lol but atleast the chicks are all ok, i guess I'll have to learn to be more patient and stop looking in the incubator every 10 mins!
1f440.png
1f440.png
1f440.png
Going crazy waiting is what those last days are all about, I think. It is so hard not to go check every ten minutes, I agree! I don't know if it's worse being home and checking constantly, or being at work and worrying about what's happening that I can't help with. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Good luck with your hatch! Glad to know the chick is still moving.
smile.png

Day 18. I have 4 rockers and I heard a few little cheeps so YaY for internal pips! Tomorrow is hatch day for the little Seramas. I also received my replacement eggs today and picked up an additional 12 bresse as well so another 3 weeks of pins and needles.

Going crazy waiting is what those last days are all about, I think. It is so hard not to go check every ten minutes, I agree!  I don't know if it's worse being home and checking constantly, or being at work and worrying about what's happening that I can't help with. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. 

Good luck with your hatch! Glad to know the chick is still moving. :)
exactly! Thanks and good luck with yours too!

Back
Top Bottom