August 2016 Hatch-A-Long

It's not just simply splay-legged, one leg was twisted and behind it's back. It's spine also seems to be bent. I'm supporting it now, hobbling it's legs and have it in a cup/sling set up to try to get it to build it's standing muscles, but I am not optimistic at this point. It's hard, because I know what one of my broody hens would have done. I'll do the best I can to help it, but it is not looking good.
Oh No! I'm so sorry!

It's not just simply splay-legged, one leg was twisted and behind it's back. It's spine also seems to be bent. I'm supporting it now, hobbling it's legs and have it in a cup/sling set up to try to get it to build it's standing muscles, but I am not optimistic at this point. It's hard, because I know what one of my broody hens would have done. I'll do the best I can to help it, but it is not looking good.

I have a friend who hatched a chick like that. She didn't have the heart to cull. She nursed it along and made a little chicken wheel chair with poop board. It became a very pampered house chicken and was doing really well for how twisted it's spine and leg were. The hen lived for about a year or so. She died egg bound. She never laid a single egg so I think when her body finally tried to produce one it just couldn't pass through.

My friend loved that one SO much she was totally devastated when she passed, but the experience did harden her to culling chicks

I have a friend who hatched a chick like that. She didn't have the heart to cull. She nursed it along and made a little chicken wheel chair with poop board. It became a very pampered house chicken and was doing really well for how twisted it's spine and leg were. The hen lived for about a year or so. She died egg bound. She never laid a single egg so I think when her body finally tried to produce one it just couldn't pass through.

My friend loved that one SO much she was totally devastated when she passed, but the experience did harden her to culling chicks

It is difficult knowing when to stop. I've decided that unless serious improvement is seen by tonight, we will have to make the hard choice. If this chick is not able to run and fly, it will never survive on range and sometimes predators are less than humane. I find peace knowing that I can help it not have to suffer.

The mother instinct in me wants to help as much as I can, but I need to be realistic
sad.png

It is difficult knowing when to stop. I've decided that unless serious improvement is seen by tonight, we will have to make the hard choice. If this chick is not able to run and fly, it will never survive on range and sometimes predators are less than humane. I find peace knowing that I can help it not have to suffer.

The mother instinct in me wants to help as much as I can, but I need to be realistic :( .
Have any of the other chicks hatched? We're they ok?

The mother instinct in me wants to help as much as I can, but I need to be realistic :( .

It's surprising what they can overcome.
When I was a teenager we had a polish roo that as a youngster had it's leg ripped off by a raccoon. When my dad went out to give it 'mercy' he said it looked right in his eyes, got up on one leg and hopped off just as fast as the rest of the flock. He healed up with lots of care and lived nearly 3 years before a dog got him.
Hopping on one leg with the big polish crest made him look like he was straight from a Dr. Seuss book. He had a good life and the whole family was glad we kept him.

That all being said you do need to be realistic. It can take lot of work to give a crippled chicken a high quality of life and it hurts bad when they still die on you despite the extra care. No matter which route you take just try to know your doing your best with what was given.

This is a downside to assisting. Sometimes there is a reason they couldn't make it out on their own. I have been in your shoe with assisting two deformed chicks and having a tough decision to make.

Back
Top Bottom