August 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
The king quail are in their new brooder. I got three different sizes, this is the small. They will upgrade as they grow.
20210813_170507.jpg 20210813_170653.jpg 20210813_172541.jpg

First Leghorn is out and its a white. Of course I forgot the liner :barnie
20210813_173012.jpg

They’re soooo cute!

I was looking into quails... celadon cortunix actually.

Are they hard to raise? How much space do quails generally need?
Quail are extremely easy to raise, especially since they grow soooo fast. They arent very bright with water though so can easily drown or get wet and chill when little, I fix that by using marbles or pebbles in their waterers. 1 square foot per bird is usually reccomended but I go bigger

Adults need a square foot per 3-4 birds.
That seems like a lot to me, I'm so used to hearing/reading 1-2 per square foot. I guess 3-4 birds per square foot would be good for meat birds, since they would be less active they would potentially reach butcher weight faster

Yep, I always give feedback on how I receive the eggs and follow ups of the hatch regardless of the outcome, sadly most of the time I get no response back when it doesn't go perfectly. Thankfully I found a closer breeder with the quail colours I have been after so I can get eggs or even chicks from him by car, plus my own should start laying soon so I can start hatching those.
That is disappointing. I always give feedback too and although i have never received replacement eggs i have always had an empathetic response. Made me much happier to try eggs from the same breeders without the shipping.

It’s the number recommended by numerous sources. They even go so far as to suggest it if you aren’t getting eggs. Too much space can make quail feel unsafe, and not lay.
Thanks for this information. I tried quail in a massive aviary and it didn't go very well. I was wondering if i should try again in smaller cages like a lot of people have. I wasn't sure if it would be cruel but maybe not. They are obviously very different from chickens.

More chickeez! From the 10 eggs I got 9 chicks, and would have had 10 out of 10, if I hadn't dented one of the eggs shells, as I was putting them into lockdown. Thought it may still hatch, but it didn't...mea culpa... Now I have another 16 due on the 21. the first eight are all feathered out now, so will be moving them to the bigger brooder in the shed and the new chicks can take over their brooder.

20210813_142827.jpg

Back
Top Bottom