August Hatch-A-Long!

Here's another round of name that chick. First one I think is a silkie but is it a mix? Feathered feet and 5 toes. Second one feathered feet 4 toes, bottom of his back is darkish. Last 2 feathered feet 4 toes eye area half black half yellow both eyes.

1st one could be a blue or splash silkie, the others maybe d'uccle's or cochins?

This is my last hatch of the year, I put 46 eggs (14 shipped BCM) in the incubator and only 22 total are viable at day 14
sad.png
Only 8 of the BCM have made it this far , some were clears and the other couple look like early death. The air cells were so wonky, some are saddle shaped. This is my first try with shipped eggs, but I know they usually don't have great hatch rates. I am REALLY disappointed in my batch of EExRSL , they are from my favorite rooster that I gave to my soon to be mother in law, I set 16 pullet eggs and only 4 have made it. So many were clear! I want to cry , I want a chick out of him so bad! My last hatch, I set 12 of his eggs and not a single one hatched! Most had made it to lockdown. Grrr, I also have a new EE too that is obviously NOT doing his job, only 10 of his eggs made it so far.
8 out of 14 shipped isn't bad at all. I had only one make it nearly to hatch, out of over 2 dozen. It's really hard with shipped eggs, unfortunately.

Fingers crossed for the rest of your eggs!

Last edited:
Once I place my guys on lockdown what's the best way to prevent a mess once they're hatching? I see people on here place them in egg cartons, I've read placing paper towels underneath the eggs.... idk.

My little homegrown chick hatched out at about 3:30 am. She is drying and relaxing in the bator right now. I will try to attach a pic but have been having such a hard time doing that with my iPad.

She is all black except a tuft of light color on top of her head, at the tip of each wing, and on her butt. She is not dry yet so those coloring s may change a bit as she fluffs up. Her upper beak is black and lower is a pinkish color. Interesting. She is from my young Barred Rock cockerel and my Red Sexlink hen.

If you think a cockerel at 13 weeks is not old enough to be fertile, she is proof that he is! He only attempted to crow this weekend twice and he is now 16 weeks old, so crowing isn't an indicator either.

Oh I give up...here is a link to the pic that won't post...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/i/5908214/sponsors/
I bet that's going to be a pretty bird
thumbsup.gif

The one that appeared to be ok started gasping and died this morning, the one with the unabsorbed yolk still hasn't absorbed any of it. I think she is sick too. The one last chick is out and doing fine so far. I have separated him and put him in a warmer. So at this point from 14 shipped eggs we have 1 for sure chick.

I just think yours weren't quite ready to hatch...not necessarily malposition....how are the little ones doing? shipped eggs are a crap shoot...I am lucky to get half a hatch from them and they are always weaker right after they hatch than my home grown...I keep buying them because its hard to find locally some of the beautiful breeds that I want to add to my flock and then breed for myself...
wink.png
Well both I think - they were definitely malpositioned - feet over head etc. But the 2 hadn't fully absorbed the yolk - but I don't think they were going to no matter how long I waited. The first one looked ok with just a small opening in the navel still but just started gasping and died. The second one still after 3 days of absorbing has made no progress. When she was in the egg the sack was wrapped around her leg and cut off from the rest of her body - i am beginning to suspect that internally it might somehow be detatched so that she can't absorb it??? The first two from my own eggs that were sideways with head over wing and foot over head are fine. 18 Breda eggs arrived today for batch 4 and I am just staring at them like "don't you dare put me through this again". They were packed loose and all settled with the air cells down :( Not expecting much.... sigh. Same way my Barred Rocks were packed - and only 3 of those 14 look to be developing.

Quote: I'm sorry! it feels so awful!
just wait a couple of days before you set the new eggs...then just put them in a forget them for 10 days! I set some yesterday, I have more for today and over the weekend more...so we can support each other at hatch time lol....anyway shipped eggs have a 50% average hatch rate...so just expect that and everything else is gravy...I feel so happy I set 6 silver and gold laced silkies 10 days ago (shipped) and everyone is thriving! that just doesn't happen but we'll see what happens at hatch time
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom