Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Vehve - so we meet again?   Would you please tell me the correct pronunciation of your user name?  I keep trying it out in my mind, and it doesn't sound right to me.

I did watch that splendid video, the youngsters are such naturals in front of the camera and the chickens huggable and docile -  I stopped going to Micky D's years ago but, I bet they never even noticed.

I bet I pronounce it wrong too. Gunna be interesting to see how it is said.

Diva, first a bit of background to the username. My name is Felix, but I'm usually called 'Feffe' (with the e:s pronounced like the e in "met"). F is however a slightly difficult letter for many Finns to pronounce (I'm a native Swedish speaker and went to school in Swedish, for Swedish speakers F isn't such a hurdle), so it's been bastardized in many people's mouths to "vevve", "veffe" or "vehve". I started using 'vehve' as my internet handle maybe a bit over 15 years ago (I first used 'analphabet' but that kept getting censored by illiterate curse word filters - a bit ironic if you ask me). So the way I would pronounce it is you first take the 've' from 'velcro', slap on an 'h' (not a silent one), and then do the 've' again. Felix might be slightly easier to pronounce for a native English speaker. You'll pronounce that a bit differently than I do too, but I respond to both pronunciations.

Here's how a Finn would spell the pronunciation of English vowels:

a: 'ei'
e: 'ii'
i: 'ai'
o: 'ou' (although the Finnish 'u' is softer than the English 'u')
u: 'juu'
y: 'uai'

And then the Finnish vowels in English pronunciation

a: like the a in 'car'
e: like the e in 'met'
i: like the i in 'blink'
o: like the o in 'top'
u: like the oo in 'cool'
y: here you have to go to the French 'cru' or German 'grün' to get the sound
å (actually a Swedish letter but sometimes mentioned in the Finnish alphabet as well): like the o in 'top'
ä: like the a in 'ban'
ö: This one is a bit tough again, in Finnish only the soft pronunciation is used, it doesn't exist as a sound in English. In Swedish, a hard and soft version exist, the hard version being pronounced sort of like the beginning of the word 'earn'

And thus endeth todays lesson in pronunciation of Finnish, Swedish and English vowels.

*Edit* And when trying out 'u' in your head, you Ozzies pronounce it 'köul', so get your Merkan accent on for these.

*Edit 2*
A bit more on the Swedish vowels. In Swedish, o, u and å are separate from each other. Å is pronounced like the finnish O, O like the Finnish U, and U has the same hard sound as the English U.

Last edited:
Diva, first a bit of background to the username. My name is Felix, but I'm usually called 'Feffe' (with the e:s pronounced like the e in "met"). F is however a slightly difficult letter for many Finns to pronounce (I'm a native Swedish speaker and went to school in Swedish, for Swedish speakers F isn't such a hurdle), so it's been bastardized in many people's mouths to "vevve", "veffe" or "vehve". I started using 'vehve' as my internet handle maybe a bit over 15 years ago (I first used 'analphabet' but that kept getting censored by illiterate curse word filters - a bit ironic if you ask me). So the way I would pronounce it is you first take the 've' from 'velcro', slap on an 'h' (not a silent one), and then do the 've' again. Felix might be slightly easier to pronounce for a native English speaker. You'll pronounce that a bit differently than I do too, but I respond to both pronunciations.

å (actually a Swedish letter but sometimes mentioned in the Finnish alphabet as well): like the o in 'top'
ö: This one is a bit tough again, in Finnish only the soft pronunciation is used, it doesn't exist as a sound in English. In Swedish, a hard and soft version exist, the hard version being pronounced sort of like the beginning of the word 'earn'

And thus endeth todays lesson in pronunciation of Finnish, Swedish and English vowels.

*Edit* And when trying out 'u' in your head, you Ozzies pronounce it 'köul', so get your Merkan accent on for these.

*Edit 2*
A bit more on the Swedish vowels. In Swedish, o, u and å are separate from each other. Å is pronounced like the finnish O, O like the Finnish U, and U has the same hard sound as the English U.

hmmm think ill stick with felix :D

Satay, it's probably the easiest
big_smile.png

*Edit 2*

I prefer Felix. Every time I think of your name I hear the jingle, ' Felix the cat the wonderful wonderful cat, whenever he gets in a fix................'

Back
Top Bottom