Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Lost my only rooster Fred today I think the heat was too much for him
1f622.png
He is such a dear little chook.

So very sorry to hear that you have lost your lovely rooster to the heat. So far my girls have survived it all - but Mindy struggles a little bit. She is only small, but is feisty - always on the 'go'.

Thoughts are with you - so awful to lose a loved pet.
sad.png

Does anyone else find the format of this site confusing? I wish it was set up more like facebook where you can talk to, and answer people easily without having to find the question 6 pages back. I have just ordered an incubator because my guineas are sitting on about 26 eggs and I thought I might try to hatch some myself. What I'm wondering is, if I take all the eggs, will they still lay their eggs in the same place? I like that they are laying in the shed where I can keep an eye on them. If I leave some eggs, and they're the first unfertile ones, and the hen gets clucky, then it would be sad for her to sit for a month for nothing. I'm not sure what to do, any suggestions.

I find it hard to negotiate many forums, independent media and social media - mainly because of the speed at which everything is posted - especially on Facebook. If you lose your place on your home page, it is rare to be able to find it again - even from notifications, which most of the time do not tally with home page postings.

At least here, if one keeps up daily, you can jot down maybe in a Word Doc. that is open, your comments to each - as you read them.

Admittedly, if away from BYC for more than a week - it becomes difficult to catch up. But I really think that applies to all forums / social media - especially the busiest of them.

Sorry I cannot help you with your other query - about your 'guineas' and whether or not to take their eggs. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Cheers ......

Whats with all these bloody broodys! Lol. Dont have enough broody areas for them all! And i didnt want anymore chicks til next yr lol.. guess another 3 lots wont hurt.. :-/

Whats with all these bloody broodys! Lol. Dont have enough broody areas for them all! And i didnt want anymore chicks til next yr lol.. guess another 3 lots wont hurt.. :-/
me too, I've had ten broody chooks in the last two weeks, and three of those have come back after a couple of eggs for a second go. I only have three broody cages, so it's been like musical chairs and me walking around carrying a chook saying "what am I going to do with this chook", and now, four of the chooks that didn't go broody are starting to moult. There goes my permanent egg orders, not to mention all the freebies my visitors expect when they visit.

I find it hard to negotiate many forums, independent media and social media - mainly because of the speed at which everything is posted - especially on Facebook.   If you lose your place on your home page, it is rare to be able to find it again - even from notifications, which most of the time do not tally with home page postings.  

At least here, if one keeps up daily, you can jot down maybe in a Word Doc. that is open, your comments to each - as you read them.  

Admittedly, if away from BYC for more than a week - it becomes difficult to catch up.  But I really think that applies to all forums / social media - especially the busiest of them. 

Sorry I cannot help you with your other query - about your 'guineas' and whether or not to take their eggs.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.   

Cheers ...... 
when I checked the eggs this morning one of them was eaten out, I'm assuming it was a rat, so I took ten eggs off the top and brought them inside. I only ordered the incubator yesterday on the internet so it will probably take at least a week to get here, I hope they'll stay fresh until then, and if one hen doesn't go clucky, I'll take more eggs as they lay them.

when I checked the eggs this morning one of them was eaten out, I'm assuming it was a rat, so I took ten eggs off the top and brought them inside. I only ordered the incubator yesterday on the internet so it will probably take at least a week to get here, I hope they'll stay fresh until then, and if one hen doesn't go clucky, I'll take more eggs as they lay them.

So long as none of the hens have ' started ' them off they will keep good for 10-14 days, just store them pointy end down in an egg carton and in the coolest part of the house, preferably not the fridge. Best to run the bator for 24 hours before you set the eggs, that way you can iron out any problems. :)

So long as none of the hens have ' started ' them off they will keep good for 10-14 days, just store them pointy end down in an egg carton and in the coolest part of the house, preferably not the fridge. Best to run the bator for 24 hours before you set the eggs, that way you can iron out any problems.
smile.png

Thank you so much for that, I am a complete novice at this. I have had no experience with hatching chicks of any kind. I've always bought my chicks at around 5 weeks and just made sure I kept them warm at night. I did get a brooder ready for the guinea chicks, because even if the mama hatches them out you have to take them away from her, because they're not good mamas and most of them wouldn't survive. Three of them are all laying in the same nest, so there are still 20 eggs there, I didn't want to upset the apple cart too much by taking too many all at once.

Back
Top Bottom