Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Does anyone know of a safe breeder to buy eggs off?? That won't cost me my life.

My 12 eggs are down to 6 and I don't think any will pop
1f613.png
1f613.png

All depends on what breeds you and looking for and the location whether you are wanting to pick them up or if you wanted posted eggs.

lol nope not at the moment that is there brooder. The quails will indeed become food for Turbo but not as yet and definately not live.

A neighbor gave me it years ago it already had the crack she had sealed up but said it may last me 6 months as a brooder. 5 years or so later it is still going strong .

Please don't get me wrong folks. But have read many posts here over this past week about chooks ( and even doves ?? is that right ) going broody - and while I am absolutely certain none of you find it funny --- I kind of do. Although it must be a pain in the backside at the time.

The visualisation of broody chickens clucking around, pecking their owners, pecking everything else, on the attack and generally monstering, is really amusing ---- to a person who does not breed chickens ( from incubators or under hens ).

On a more serious note however, does a hen lay a lot of eggs, and THEN become broody - to cover and hatch her eggs, or does she go off the lay when broody ? I cannot for the life of me, work that out --- as I have read that a broody chook will not entertain overtures from a rooster, buzzes everyone off big time, so - how does she become fertilised - and thus lay eggs that will hatch to chickens ? And how many does she lay, when she has been covered ? .... one per day ? ... more ? ....

I have seen photographs of a dozen or more chickens with their mumma hens. I am presuming it doesn't matter how long it takes for a hen to lay XX number of eggs, she will sit on them and hatch them over a 21>24 day period of time ??? If using an incubator, I have noted that 18 days is lock down - no more moving of eggs around. So 25 days would be the absolute maximum to get chickies pipping and out ?

It absolutely fascinates me.
smile.png

As a person with ideas ( in the distant future I might add ) to adding to my flock - ( without a rooster ) ... would some kind person here please explain the dynamics of all this .... at the moment it is very confusing to me. My hens do not do broody - except for Mindy Araucana who has had a few little goes at it, and was broken within 3 days every time. The other two ? ....
smack.gif

Cheers - and to all, hope your first couple of days in 2016 have been great.

Last edited:
Please don't get me wrong folks.    But have read many posts here over this past week about chooks ( and even doves ?? is that right ) going broody - and while I am absolutely certain none of you find it funny --- I kind of do.  Although it must be a pain in the backside at the time.  

The visualisation of broody chickens clucking around, pecking their owners, pecking everything else, on the attack and generally monstering, is really amusing ---- to a person who does not breed chickens ( from incubators or under hens ).  

On a more serious note however, does a hen lay a lot of eggs, and THEN become broody - to cover and hatch her eggs, or does she go off the lay when broody ?   I cannot for the life of me, work that out --- as I have read that a broody chook will not entertain overtures from a rooster, buzzes everyone off big time, so - how does she become fertilised - and thus lay eggs that will hatch to chickens ?    And how many does she lay, when she has been covered ?  .... one per day ? ... more ?   ....

I have seen photographs of a dozen or more chickens with their mumma hens.   I am presuming it doesn't matter how long it takes for a hen to lay XX number of eggs, she will sit on them and hatch them over a 21>24 day period of time ???    If using an incubator, I have noted that 18 days is lock down - no more moving of eggs around.   So 25 days would be the absolute maximum to get chickies pipping and out ?

It absolutely fascinates me.  :)   

As a person with ideas ( in the distant future  I might add ) to adding to my flock - ( without a rooster ) ... would some kind person here please explain the dynamics of all this .... at the moment it is very confusing to me.    My hens do not do broody - except for Mindy Araucana who has had a few little goes at it, and was broken within 3 days every time.   The other two ? .... :smack

Cheers - and to all,  hope your first couple of days in 2016 have been great. 

A broody chook will not continue to lay while sitting. That is usually why people want to break them. Eggs are fertilized inside the hen before the shells are made, and a hen will lay fertile eggs from 36 hours after mating for up to about 3 weeks. Quite often all the other hens will continue to lay in the nest the broody is sitting on. A broody hen will usually leave the nest for a couple of hours a day to eat drink and poop so that is why they take longer to hatch than an incubator.

A broody chook will not continue to lay while sitting. That is usually why people want to break them. Eggs are fertilized inside the hen before the shells are made, and a hen will lay fertile eggs from 36 hours after mating for up to about 3 weeks. Quite often all the other hens will continue to lay in the nest the broody is sitting on. A broody hen will usually leave the nest for a couple of hours a day to eat drink and poop so that is why they take longer to hatch than an incubator.

Oh and not all broody are aggressive. My best mummy chook doesn't peck at anyone or anything whilst broody. Just makes a lot of noise.

Please don't get me wrong folks.    But have read many posts here over this past week about chooks ( and even doves ?? is that right ) going broody - and while I am absolutely certain none of you find it funny --- I kind of do.  Although it must be a pain in the backside at the time.  

On a more serious note however, does a hen lay a lot of eggs, and THEN become broody - to cover and hatch her eggs, or does she go off the lay when broody ?   I cannot for the life of me, work that out --- as I have read that a broody chook will not entertain overtures from a rooster, buzzes everyone off big time, so - how does she become fertilised - and thus lay eggs that will hatch to chickens ?    And how many does she lay, when she has been covered ?  .... one per day ? ... more ?   ....

I have seen photographs of a dozen or more chickens with their mumma hens.   I am presuming it doesn't matter how long it takes for a hen to lay XX number of eggs, she will sit on them and hatch them over a 21>24 day period of time ???    If using an incubator, I have noted that 18 days is lock down - no more moving of eggs around.   So 25 days would be the absolute maximum to get chickies pipping and out ?

It absolutely fascinates me.  :)   

As a person with ideas ( in the distant future  I might add ) to adding to my flock - ( without a rooster ) ... would some kind person here please explain the dynamics of all this .... at the moment it is very confusing to me.    My hens do not do broody - except for Mindy Araucana who has had a few little goes at it, and was broken within 3 days every time.   The other two ? .... :smack

Cheers - and to all,  hope your first couple of days in 2016 have been great. 

Annie the hen will lay everyday up until she has a clutch of eggs, usually 10-14 . Once she brings them up to heat and sets them those that are fertile will begin to develop. She will generally cease laying until the chicks are 4-6 weeks of age.
A hens can continue laying fertile eggs up to 6 weeks after the rooster has been removed from the flock.
After only 48 hours of incubation the heart is formed and begins to beat. Really quite amazing. :)

http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/poultry_chicks_embryo.html

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--pSgmqVJV--/18lozpszx6rf1jpg.jpg

http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/poultry_long_hens.html

Last edited:
Thank you Fancychooklady and sjturner79 .... for your thoughtful and informative answers to my questions.

Fancy --- I read / looked at - all the links you provided ... and it astonished me to learn that a hen can 'store' semen for later fertilisation of eggs.

We understand our own mammalian reproduction - along with those of horses, cattle - all mammals, but the birds ? That is quite extraordinary.

And to think the hen doesn't even take a day off to lay, ending up with 10-14 eggs. That's what confused me the most - when does she, when doesn't she ?.

As sjturner79 said .... a hen will lay fertile eggs up to 3 weeks after mating. Amazing.

A whole new dimension of respect from me - for my chooks - from this information ( even if they are husband-less !!!
roll.png
).

Have always thought that each day I find a new egg laid, that they have pushed and shoved to lay that egg - poor little darlings - in labour 6 days out of 7 ???

And Fancy ---- how is the foaling coming along ? ... I did think, when you posted that most would be away during New Years, she might just decide to do the deed then and there. No news yet ? Hope all goes well --

Cheers - and thanks ..............

Last edited:
Thank you Fancychooklady and sjturner79 .... for your thoughtful and informative answers to my questions.  

Fancy --- I read / looked at - all the links you provided ... and it astonished me to learn that a hen can 'store' semen for later fertilisation of eggs. 

We understand our own mammalian reproduction - along with those of horses, cattle - all mammals, but the birds ?   That is quite extraordinary.  

And to think the hen doesn't even take a day off to lay,  ending up with 10-14 eggs.    That's what confused me the most - when does she, when doesn't she ?. 

As sjturner79 said .... a hen will lay fertile eggs up to 3 weeks after mating.    Amazing.  

A whole new dimension of respect from me - for my chooks - from this information ( even if they are husband-less !!! :rolleyes:  ).  

Have always thought that each day I find a new egg laid, that they have pushed and shoved to lay that egg - poor little darlings - in labour 6 days out of 7 ???

And Fancy ---- how is the foaling coming along ?   ... I did think, when you posted that most would be away during New Years, she might just decide to do the deed then and there.   No news yet ?   Hope all goes well --   

Cheers - and thanks .............. 

The period of time that eggs will remain fertile is 4-7 weeks , after the last mating.

http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/poultry_long_hens.html

No foal yet, the mare is ginormous and pacing the fence line . She hasn't ' waxed up ' :)yet, a term used to describe the dried colostrum on the end of the teats. Not a lot of sleep is being had around here with 2 hourly checks through out the night.
Fingers crossed, soon and without any human interference. :)
I'm off to the Sunday market, enjoy your day.

Mummy dove came out for breakfast this morning and daddy took her place. Phew :)

My sister has had these type of birds for years and this is the first time a pair has ever sat this long without forgetting all about the eggs for even days at a time. Seems that little cat carrier was the trick :). Little part of me kind of hopes the eggs are fertile but then I suspect that means we would inherit the babies and not sure I need another pet.

@satay when yours hatch babies is there anything you do different food wise?

Last edited:
Mummy dove came out for breakfast this morning and daddy took her place. Phew :)

My sister has had these type of birds for years and this is the first time a pair has ever sat this long without forgetting all about the eggs for even days at a time. Seems that little cat carrier was the trick :). Little part of me kind of hopes the eggs are fertile but then I suspect that means we would inherit the babies and not sure I need another pet.

@satay when yours hatch babies is there anything you do different food wise?

No not at all with the doves appps. I just leave them to it. Mum and dad feed them once they are born. I don't touch them at all when they are in the nest. Have a peek but that is about it.

Back
Top Bottom